Home Technical Talk

[Blender] Making clothes with NURBs editing, worth it?

node
Offline / Send Message
99499 node
So I'm considering learning how to use the NURBS system (I think thats what modeling with curves is called) to create clothing for my character. Wondering if anyone here has experience with doing so, if it is more efficient, has more options, etc, and if it would be worth investing the time to learning it for that purpose or if I would be better off just staying with normal vertex modeling. I really don't have a reason to learn NURBS otherwise. I know this is kind of a broad question, but any insight would be appreciated. 

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    modeling with curves isn't something i do often, but sometimes it comes in handy. just another tool in the toolbelt. Shouldnt take much time to get the gist of it so I dont see any drawback.

its not really a viable replacement for marvelous designer if you are doing a lot of clothes. you can do something simple like drapes with a predictable shape.

I think using curves is most useful for curved surfaces, like molded parts of a car, or a plane wing. You draw out the curves and loft them together. Using the CV controls you retain some non-destructive control to play with the shapes.

can also be useful for things like hair cards, wires/cables, and other odds and ends.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    In the past NURBs for Blender was a bit broken. However kind of remember doing a test for possible rapid automotive modeling workflow, (...some client job) because short timeframe was a strict factor which from memory sort of resulted in a positive outcome but for generating cloths even with current 2.8 - 9x framework, not sure. So out of interest I'm wondering if there are any advantages/benefits using this technique?!

Already, 2.8x specific cloth tools, are available

For example:
  • myclay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    myclay polycounter lvl 10
    You could use the Garment Tool* with closed bezier curves and or import an SVG file which you have either downloaded from a pattern site or created within Affinity Designer or Illustrator.