Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Old Wyvern Model - Need reviews and critiques

Shuyang
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Shuyang polycounter lvl 3
It's a personal project. I'm just learning ZBrush and having fun. I thought it'd be helpful if you guys can review it for me. I would like you guys to say good and bad sides of my model. Any suggestion and opinion is welcome. Thank you in advance.

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I feel like the creature's chest looks like a really buff human, and not a dragon. If you're going to make the lower jaw bigger than its snout, maybe push the shapes a little more to make it look intentional. I also think you started going too high poly before getting a solid great shape. Keep it up!!
  • Shuyang
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like the creature's chest looks like a really buff human, and not a dragon. If you're going to make the lower jaw bigger than its snout, maybe push the shapes a little more to make it look intentional. I also think you started going too high poly before getting a solid great shape. Keep it up!!
    First of all thank you so much for your answer. I really appreciate the time you spend to write this great review. I am grateful.

I did not want to make it generic dragon that's why I went for the buffed human chest. So that's a compliment rather than a critique for me.I want to make it more humanoid -if that's the right word- , a talking , thinking dragon with a past was my choise. But I totally agree with your answer.

Another thing is I need more detail on the pushing the shapes. Yes, I want its jaw to be bigger than its snout. Should I push the other areas like cheekbones to make it intentional or just the jaw. So I did not understand what you said fully unfortunately.

And finally this model has 4 subdivisions. This is the 3rd subdiv which has 4 mil polys. I was at this subdiv to get screenshots so it can show more detail. It's base polys is around 250k. Should i go lower ?
  • Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Maybe something like this. Right now your dragon has an awkwardly big lower jaw. But if you leaned into that and made the jaw stick out, and gave the front of his mouth a planar design, I think it would be really cool. Maybe ignore my advice about dropping sub divisions, but I feel your anatomy should have been worked on a little more before adding sub-divs and doing details such as scales.

• Shuyang
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe something like this. Right now your dragon has an awkwardly big lower jaw. But if you leaned into that and made the jaw stick out, and gave the front of his mouth a planar design, I think it would be really cool. Maybe ignore my advice about dropping sub divisions, but I feel your anatomy should have been worked on a little more before adding sub-divs and doing details such as scales.
    Now I understand your point. Making different proportions at that area will make it look better. Also you gave me another idea aswell. Thank you.
  • Shuyang
    Offline / Send Message

Progress Update:
    I changed the chest muscles, ribs and clavicula anatomy into more bird-like anatomy. Made the chin bigger, pushed it to front a little and made the cheekbones little bigger.
  • Shuyang
    Offline / Send Message

Progress Update:

Today I changed the eyes little bit. Added more details on face and added spikes to sides. I need reviews on anatomy/details and progress I'm making. Am I in the right path or not? 
  • Shuyang
    Offline / Send Message

Progress Update:

Changed the horns .Made them spiral but not sure if this is looking better or not. Added teeth. Used T-Rex teeths for reference and tried to sculpt based on that. Im still struggling with details. Im not getting that scale feeling. 

Im not getting any feedbacks nowadays so I really need to know how I'm doing.
  • Shuyang
    Offline / Send Message

Progress Update : 

Removed the details cause it wasnt what I want. Now trying different scale styles. Added wrinkles to eyes and mouth area to make it older.
    Share your thoughts please.  
  • HarlequinWerewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter
    I've only made one dragon head so can't comment that much but I thought I'd try point you to Rowena Frenzel. She does some awesome creature models and hand sculpts all of her scales. Here's her ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/rowenafrenzel but she often posts breakdowns or snippets of her process on her social medias: https://twitter.com/xRowCat || https://www.instagram.com/rowcat/
  • Shuyang
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for your reply. Definitely gonna check her work.
  • Shuyang
    Offline / Send Message

Progress Update:

I wanted to add full body to my wyvern. For base I sculpted this body. I'll be working on this from now on. Let me know what you think about it and you can suggest postures too.
  • Shuyang
    Offline / Send Message

Progress Update:

Im back. I thought hands were too small for a wyvern. Changed them and made them bigger. Added wings. I'm gonna work with details from now on. All critiques and reviews are always welcome.
  • HarlequinWerewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter
    Looking good. Since you've upped the hands and now have the wings in to show proportions and stuff, I would maybe take another look at the legs. They look quite small now compared to the rest of him. Remember he's going to push off the ground with these so they have to be strong enough to give him some distance from the ground. 

Also, I assume you're not going to rig this? If you are I would definitely spread the wings and arms out to make rigging and skinning easier
  • Shuyang
    Offline / Send Message

Looking good. Since you've upped the hands and now have the wings in to show proportions and stuff, I would maybe take another look at the legs. They look quite small now compared to the rest of him. Remember he's going to push off the ground with these so they have to be strong enough to give him some distance from the ground. 

Also, I assume you're not going to rig this? If you are I would definitely spread the wings and arms out to make rigging and skinning easier

Thank you HarlequinWerewolf for your reply. Yes, you were absolutely right about legs. It's looking better now. For your other question. I'm not thinking about rigging it. Im gonna pose it and paint it after I'm done with sculpting.

• Shuyang
    Offline / Send Message

Progress Update:
    I had other stuffs to take care of but now I'm back after a long time. So I posed my Wyvern like this. And added a asymmetry to the legs. I adjusted the body muscles to the pose but I don't think I'm done with the adjustments. Should I turn the head to right or left a bit ? So any tip and/or critique is welcome as always. 
  • Shuyang
    Offline / Send Message

Progress Update:

I think I'm done with the basic anatomy. I'll move onto secondary details. But I don't think I can work on this project much due to my lessons in university. Let me know what do you think about this wyvern so far. All critique is welcome as always. Thank you.