Home Technical Talk

How can i improve this Topology ?

Hi,

I would love to know if it would be possible to make this Topology look more beautiful because right now it doesnt really look organized and clean
Do you know how to do that and with which tricks ?

( Im using Maya if that is important )

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    What would KonMari say? 

If it doesnt inspire joy, get rid of it. 

In the case of your model, we get joy from the beautiful silhouette. So then, if an edge is not directly contributing to the silhouette, delete it. 

It gets a little more complicated when we consider the whole workflow, however. Got to know, what is the final goal of the model. How is it rendered, will there be baking involved, how will you build the high poly model if so, and so on. The more unknown becomes known, the more precise the target. Get a killshot that way.

There is a lot of gold in the stickied hard surface threads. If you making hard surface models, will definitely be worth time to peruse through those on a regular basis.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Terminate your edge loops. This will make it easier to edit your forms, and transitions will be smoother.

See the Sticky: 
    How The F*#% Do I Model This? - Reply for help with specific shapes - (Post attempt before asking)

Also the wiki has good topology advice
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Subd#Primers
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    As mentioned, research the subd hard surface stickies linked top of this board, where there's a ton of 'howto's' but more importantly the 'why' in terms of excepted/best practices. At a glance you've a few redundant edges that are not needed too support this object's overall silhouette and typically a grid layout isn't the most optimal method too define various surface details when also taking into account a clean minimal uniform edge flow, specific to 'class A' automotive surfacing.

Here's an additional font of relevant info that helped me, when working on a few jobs: