Home Technical Talk

Xnormal, Lowpoly faces are visible on normalmap

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Alkarath polycounter lvl 6
See gifs below,
My lowpoly faces are somehow baked onto the normal map when using Xnormal, and are showing up in Marmoset Toolbag 3. I was wondering if anybody knew how to fix this.
When I use the "use average normals" setting when exporting in sbm or in xnormal itself the result is fine. (Which is not a problem in this case since im only using one smoothing group anyways, but I would like to know what im doing wrong so that I can use xnormal for hardedges as well)

I have checked that my uv is properly welded,
All the polygons in are, in this case on a singular smoothing group,
I have checked the export settings made sure that the smoothing groups are being exported, and have double checked this by adding a second smoothing group on the front which did cause an artifact (so it seems to be reading the seperate smoothing groups).

Smoothing groups with all polygons selected:

Obj export settings:

Sbm export settings:

Result when using the "use exported normals" setting:

Result when using the "average normals" setting / "Smooth normals" setting when exporting sbm
Gif is using the same lowpoly model as the one above, when no normal map is applied the lowpoly model is smooth aswell.

Replies

• Alkarath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alkarath polycounter lvl 6
    Fixed part of it, the artifacts of the lowpolygon model are fixed by turning on AND off "Fix Mirrored Tangents" in marmoset toolbag.
    The bad bake in xnormal (see the first normalmap) logically did not change.