Home Technical Talk

GN ZBrush/Maya Import/Export Tool

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Gabriel Nadeau polycounter lvl 9

Hi everyone!

I would like to present you my latest tool which is called GN ZBrush/Maya Import/Export Tool. This is a tool that I created in ZBrush and Maya to quickly import and export your objects.

This tool will give you the ability to quickly switch between Maya and ZBrush, importing and exporting multiple objects at once and doing so at a much faster speed than ZBrush plugin GoZ which tends to be slow and unreliable, especially when working with a large number of objects.
This tool also offers a couple of different options and allows to import/export in both MayaAscii and OBJ format.

The benefits of using the MayaAscii format is that it will retain your creases, while the OBJ format will retain your polygroups if you choose so. Unfortunately, no format will retain both of those for the time being, so you will have to choose the format that best suits your needs.

This tool was created for use in Windows 10, with ZBrush 2021+ and Maya 2019+. It might very well work in earlier versions, but I haven't tested it and can't say for sure.

For a quick overview of this tool, check out my video demonstration on Vimeo:

The tool is available for sale on my ArtStation store:
https://www.artstation.com/marketplace/p/8vPd/gn-zbrush-maya-import-export-tool

Let me know your thoughts and feel free to contact me if you encounter any bug or you think that something could be improved/changed.

Cheers!
Gabriel

Replies