Home Technical Talk

Architectural modeling for games.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
jRocket polycounter lvl 18
I have been modeling with 3ds Max, Maya, and now Blender for many years. I have made character, props, and environments- but I have found the process of making buildings particularly slow, especially if I manually going in the model and cutting out features like doors and windows, and adding things like crown molding.

Ideally, I would like to have workflow where I can quickly design a floor plan from the top view, and drag out premade windows and doors that properly boolean into the walls(nondestructively)- all while keeping good UVs.

Are there any scripts/plugins for this? Is CAD software any good for this? I imaging this is something Houdini could do, albeit with a lot of work to get it set up?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used to do 3d floor plans as freelance work, and developed a fast workflow that allowed frequent edits as requested by the client.

My process was in 3ds Max, using architect plan on a plane, drawing splines for the wall layout, then using Extrude, Shell,  Sweep modifiers. Crown molding is great with Sweep, including automatic UVs. ProBooleans for windows and doors. Layers for organizing hiding/unhiding different floors.

It all depends though, how the architecture needs to be used. If modular, very different workflow.
  • oraeles77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oraeles77 polycounter lvl 4
    learning cad software for this would be total overkill. CAD's main thing is helping architects test physical stuff like weight of the ceiling etc.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Blender comes with the 2 plugins Archimesh and Archipack, you might wanna have a look at them.
    I never used them myself though.
    Exports from CAD software are usually so messy that wish you would have modeled the whole thing in your DCC right from the start.