Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Ruined Sci Fi Environment - Please Critique my work

Hello everyone. 

I recently created this environment in +/-  two weeks for a specific vacancy at Guerrilla. I've applied with this environment/portfolio but without succes..

It would really help if you can give me feedback on the modelling, texturing, lighting, overall scene, presentation or anyhting else that comes to mind! 

Modelled in Maya and Textured in Substance Painter and Photoshop.
Scene is made in Unreal with baked lighting.

You can view the environment here:
https://chrisheslinga.artstation.com/projects/xJYQP1

This was the vacancy I applied for:
https://hitmarker.net/jobs/guerrilla-environment-bunkers-ruins-artist-563152

My portfolio (highlights) (trimmed it down a lot..)
https://chrisheslinga.artstation.com/albums/2463495

Many thanks in advance for any feedback or advice! 

Chris

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I feel like there should be something in the center of the room, like a crystal or something. My eye is drawn in there, but there is just a robot arm with nothing to work on. The glowing mushrooms kind of seem out of place. If you made them purple instead of blue/green, it would fit in the scene better. You could probably increase the global illumination a little bit to get rid of the really dark shadows.

For your portfolio, remember that really long triangles (and thus really long polygons) are pretty hard on game engines. Your portfolio should probably include a page for your resume. i would like to see some complex hard surface sub-D models. The topology on your sci-fi door high poly isn't very good. I also think you should try out a few styles and mimic the styles of studios which you live near.

I think you're close. Keep pushing yourself a lot and you'll get there!
  • Cheslinga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Ashervisalis! That really is some helpfull feedback.

Ashervisalis said:
    The topology on your sci-fi door high poly isn't very good. 

Is it wrong what I did so far? (Some bevelled edges and some bolts and plates) or more like; Its better to have a bit more challening/interesting high poly with sculpted details and even distributed polys in my portfolio.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Check out how I'm getting rid of my beveled corners. Notice the blue edges leading away from a beveled corner. Also, notice how I can reduce 3 edges to 1 (red lines). If someone showed a high poly hard surface on their portfolio, I would expect them to use proper topology like this. Also, that spherical part of your hard surface high poly has a ton of edges going to the corners of the square part it attaches to. I would just make that sphere a completely separate part. Your hard surface high poly should probably be done in sub-D modeling for your portfolio.