Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Age of Sail Hand Mortar

Finished this up not too long ago, and was hoping to get some feedback/hear your thoughts on it. I wanted to try my hand at creating an unusual and weathered weapon, while still aiming to keep it grounded in reality. So, I decided on a ~17th century weapons called a hand mortar, an early grenade launcher.
 More renders and a Marmoset Viewer here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lxRXYa

Thanks for taking a look, I'd like to hear what you think.

Replies

• JohannesAg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohannesAg greentooth
    okay two things you might watch out for on your next piece ( or this one if you revisit it) your topology is a little messy and unnecessarily high in places. The other is that your textures feel like they didn´t get enough love yet, it feels like you threw some smart materials on it and called it a day,  not saying you did that but that´s sort of what it looks like right now. 
    good luck :)

• Djanki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As the commenter above mentioned I think the materials need some more love.

It's a little bit odd to me since the overall shape is stylized but the materials are pbr realistic and too clean. The gold could use some more reds in the shadows and also maybe some variation on the roughness.

The wood is looking a little bit too shiny like it's super polished/lacquered. Maybe adding some dirt or grunge in some areas could help break up the textures.

Overall a good base.