[Finished] AKS-74U

KAE
KAE
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
KAE polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys! 
I want to share with you my progression in a project I started early this month. I have not worked on continuously that's why I almost finished the base weapon and its internal parts. Here I want to document the coming steps and getting feedback about everything. It's gonna be along journey I guess. 

So I'm working on the AKS-74U with all of its internal parts (except those for the magazine). Additionally gonna model some attachments or variants for different parts. I'm still not sure what. But here is the list of things I'm  gonna be definitely modeling: 

AKS-74U 
BelOMO POSP optical sight
PBS-04 Suppressor

Also still thinking about modeling these:

BARSKA red dot
Handguard and stock variants
Barrel extension

Here are my references (for modeling):

the process is like: 
base mesh/ low poly modeling in 3ds max
polishing and damage pass (very subtle) in Zbrush
baking and rendering in marmoset toolbag
texturing in substance painter

Since this is only a portfolio piece, no deadlines were set. I will be very glad if you share your thoughts with me, critique and comment :)

Replies

• KAE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KAE polycounter lvl 4
    Update #00:

I'm now tweaking and testing some of the parts and making sure everything can animate properly and fit together, just by setting pivot points in the right place, and gonna call the main weapon done after adding some screws and such. Then I will move on to the PBS-04 suppressor.
    Here are some (a lot of them) screenshots:

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Some quick thoughts; I'd make the top and bottom parts of the handguard separate pieces. The rear post looks a tad wide perhaps.

I think most AKS-74u stocks also have rolled edges, I think the straight ones are airsoft or maybe cheaper reproductions.

It's out of focus here but you can see how the inner open edges roll inwards to round it off a tad, a lot of people miss this detail

• KAE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KAE polycounter lvl 4
    @Bek
    The upper and lower handguard parts are separate as you can see here:

They just have hard edges where they meet in the middle, so Zbrush didn't shade them correctly. 

For the stock, I just checked my references and there was no bevel. But I'm gonna be redoing them, like you said. They will look much more interesting I think.

You're also right about the rear post it's wider than it should. I will be fixing this before I start working on the scope rail. 
    Thanks for your feedback! :) Am glad I read it before moving on to the scope.
  • KAE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KAE polycounter lvl 4
    Update #01:

Hey guys! 
    A little tiny update here:
    I managed to finish the suppressor, and modeled the block-out for the optical sight. I wasted quite some time trying to fit this block-out scope with the main weapon, and I couldn't, just to discover later, that it needs different side rail than the standard one.

• KAE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KAE polycounter lvl 4
    Update #02: 

Hi guys!  
    I managed to finish the scope, red dot, and decided to add a tactical laser sight... 
    Here are some shots:

So I'm gonna start working on the low poly and won't add any additional parts or variants, because I already have now about 180 objects in my scene and I don't want to work on this project forever. Any critique or feedback is very welcome :).
  • KAE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KAE polycounter lvl 4
    Hey guys! 
    I have not posted any updates on this weapon for a long time. I was not able to work on it because of some school stuff and other things going around, till I thought I will never be able to finish it. 
    Here are some renders of this weapon done using marmoset toolbag 4. Thank you for the feedback I received at some point and hope you like it :) and please tell me what you think.

Highres and more shots can be found on my artstation:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/R3zJZm

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Looks awesome!
    But... the handguard wood is not realistic because that is treated wood not painted. Treated wood has a layer of oil that scuffs and fades away from wear and doesnt chip away like paint.
    The metal materials look believable for the most part but in some cases there are too many scratches and in places that would be very hard to happen in real life.
    The rubber band has an impossible resting position imo and kinda breaks the illusion.
    Good job, nevertheless!
  • KAE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KAE polycounter lvl 4
    @teodar23 Thanks for your feedback man. You're right, the wood is not matching the references. I ended up learning new ways of creating some effects without being aware of how these would look in real life. I'm also struggling to understand materials. How do you know whether a material is treated or painted and what are other types of materials? 
    I appreciate your answer, so I can work better and not blindly off references on my textures next time :)
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    The treated wood retains its wood pattern because it has a clear coat applied on top. Its actually an oil that slightly darkens the wood. Paint just covers the wood entirely.
    For guns, i've seen only treated wood used, usually reddish or brownish tinted wood with a thick coating.
    Google close ups of shotgun stocks or other wood furnishing for guns.
    Keep it up.
  • Zoddo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoddo polycounter lvl 5
    Did you just guess the internalls based upon references, or did you download the CAD files somewhere?
  • KAE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KAE polycounter lvl 4
    Hi @Zoddo
    No everything modeled was just based on photo references found on the internet. Downloading CAD files to use as references would have been very cool and time-saving, but I don't know where to get them.