Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Apex Legend Wraith Fan Art

Hello, guys. This is my first post and also the first project for my character art. I have studied anatomy and general workflow of realtime character making and I felt like I should make one myself for actually improving. 

I chose my main character, Wraith from Apex Legend and considering focusing on female anatomy and finishing it from scratch to experience the workflow. So hope I will get to finish it and move onto something else with a little bit more experience! 

For the beginning, I am sculpting the base mesh and face. I think the body looks kind of off and stiff but not really sure where to fix. So it would be really awesome if there is any suggestion for where to start to fix from. And for the face, I am trying to do a likeness of a Asian model in red in the reference. I found it very hard to do it since my reference may not be good enough and also my lack of skill lol..  still trying to adjust and find a sweet spot to make it look more like her. I will try doing some more sculpt and planing to move onto costume using marvelous designer. Thank you for looking! 

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Hi, nice idea you got here.
    I can only offer new reference material searches and some remarks on anatomy models.
    Pinterest search:

https://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=asian anatomy&rs=typed&term_meta[]=asian|typed&term_meta[]=anatomy|typed

Typed in Asian Anatomy

Click an image of a head and then got some nice references after that
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/379498706091994287/?nic_v1=1atdUcyHqxpaHmx9EDlbzKRJeChOZBsFKi9rEV4flu6kl39QEgzJfSJozjE8OPTCIN
    Which even made me want to make one or at least the head of one. :blush:

Other than that, nice progress and i want to say spend as much time as you can on this stage, usually you run into issues later on or get frustrated feeling as if spending time on something to long might be draining i hope you do not fall into this because it does pay off once its completed.

One thing i could probably say for sure is the double fold on the glutes where the glutes meet the (naming like i know it by heart...)(Semitendinosus area) makes it look as if the current body is old, i.e. sag with age.(to note i haven't seen any nakes ladies lately so i could be off on this but when i look into the mirror i see that and it wasn't there before ;) )

Later on you might be able to take on different approaches to these anatomy models, i have figured out one for myself and works for me, won't help you atm maybe on your next project though it might.

Other than those bits i look forward to more.
  • jimdrawandmake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DavidCruz Thank you for the advice! Like you said, I am trying to be cautious about this project since I actually tried once before (so frankly this is my second attempt) and got burned out and gave up during the process while trying to rush to finish it.. so this time I will spend enough time during the each process! And I will pay more attention to the glute area, it really is confusing so I will search for more reference to feel the youth in that.. area! 

• jimdrawandmake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hello, guys! 
    Here is a little more update on the base mesh. I am Trying to do a justice to the anatomy, not for the perfection but to make it look decent enough I guess.. But it really is hard to judge on my own, it definitely needs more work to be done but not really sure what is missing. So please, let me hear you guys suggestion! 

And the Face so far, not really feeling the look of the reference's face. I thought I have worked on it pretty long but comparing it to the previous post, it looks like there is not much of a progress lol.. :angry:

Anyways, I will keep working on the base mesh as long as I can push.
    Thank you for looking!
  • jimdrawandmake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, Polycount. I was quite bush working and being stuck in the process, feeling bad and studying then working again! So here is small update. I have worked on the body and likeness after the last update, and I felt like I will never be able to finish it if I keep working on likeness, so I was like okay, let's ditch the likeness and move onto clothing part first. :disappointed: I am planning to  come back later after finishing all the hign poly right before retopo. 

So Here I am. I am working on clothing simulation and of course, I am not really happy with it yet, especially the collar.. I am trying to figure out how to make the collar folding like the reference does. I will keep working on it, but you know, if there is any suggestion, I could really use some advice! 

As always, thanks for looking!

• theycallmedualian
    what preview material was that on md? 
  • jimdrawandmake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what preview material was that on md? 
    Do you mean leather part I believe? It's D Leather. I grabbed it from Flipped normal, Travis Davis tutorial material. 
  • jimdrawandmake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, Polycount! 

Here is my progress so far, I am working on blocking the assets and suits. I will be working on a little bit more with the blocking and move onto high poly sculpting stage. Thanks for looking!