Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Review

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
PlasmaticJj polycounter lvl 8
Hi everyone, just asking for help with my portfolio, what to add and what to remove. I’ve been working full time earn a bit of money outside the industry, so I haven’t had so much time as I would like to fully focus on my portfolio, but I’ve noticed I’ve gotten less and less responses for studios. So I’m wondering what it is I need to add/remove from my portfolio to help me break into the industry.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/jjamieson

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I feel like you should cull what I've marked with an X. Your roman weapons project look neat, but the weapons that it opens with are kind of bland and not very memorable. I feel an employer would want to know that you know how to make complex modeling, specifically sub-D modeling, and you haven't really shown that here. Maybe try making something mechanical and complex?

• PlasmaticJj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the response! Will cut them out now. Oddly enough the next environment i'm working on is more mechanical in nature so that should hopefully cover it. Any other advice you have? I'll probably post something about CV/Cover letters soon, but this is not the right form place to post it :)
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Only other advice I might have is make some stylized environments. If you're applying around with this portfolio, studios which do cartoon style art won't pay much attention to your portfolio. You've also made a lot of textures, but I would rather see them applied to environments than as texture cylinders.
  • PlasmaticJj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks for the extra advice! Stylised stuff is something I’m struggling with, so I’ve been keeping to studios that focus more on the photorealism, but I understand it’s good to have more options on offer. For the textures, I agree, I’ll work on that soon!