Home Marmoset

How to set up sphere lighting in Marmoset and 3D Coat?

XzY
XzY
node
Offline / Send Message
XzY node
Hello)
How to set up sphere lighting in Marmoset and 3D Coat?
Usually, in these programs, lighting is a hemisphere and the lower part of the model remains dark and unlit:( Can lighting be done from all directions? (sphere)

Replies

• DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    LONG VERSION:
    Yea but afaik it takes manually creating it and positioning it yourself using the shadow options (for targeted directions) then turning off the shadow directions after the lights position is set in the placement you desired.  It is a bit of work i only did x,y directions and 5 lights per direction seems well enough rather than an actual sphere which would take a lot of time effort and configurations. 
    It is a good upgrade option for mamro 4? if it ever comes around, pre-light setups. (which would probably be a lot easier to script out than manually positioning and rotating light objects.) Hours to minutes.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/oA2awk

^Did it here using artstations video viewer, can't use youtube/google cause i haven't updated their explorer has "blocked me" and others whom have not updated in some time so i can no longer use the video service. which makes the embedded youtube option on this forum useless to me, other than sharing music.(which my previous forced update argument came from.)

TL;DR:
    Hope it helps, but answer is yes it takes time.

More info if you want me to break it down easier:
    I made 1 light at each axis i wanted or needed, turned on shadows to get the accurate direction, turned them off when they where at desired location.  Just cntrl+D'd them and rotated them after that. (Using the shadow catcher) Lights are on a setting of 2.0 each, the white lights are 1.75 each, if it helps you & only 1 of the lights on X have shadows on.

Did the same for all other axis's however, the guide icons DO NOT MOVE so i manually placed them at their locations as "guides", so that when i view the guides i can see where each light(via guide) is relative to its position.  If you do not do this you are left with viewing the rotation numbers under the light options, which will give you a headache i like visuals so it works for me.

Then i color coded each one as i desired to help me differentiate each light and make them unique to one another, 4 lights per axis (each axis 1 white light) i used x & y, suppose the Z exists <when moving the guides and rotating the lights.
    White color lights are on top and bottom, this color light setup is something I've been playing with, since the gems.

Hope it helps.
    Special final comment:
    I think its really cool using the lights via colors without making the WHITE can create a WHITE light via the colors only. pretty neat.

Edit:
    IDK about 3d coat never used it.
  • XzY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XzY node
    Oh this is very cool!!! Thank you for taking the time to provide such a detailed answer.
    I did about the same, but still hoped for a secret button))
    P.S. The idea of ​​collecting white from shades of the spectrum is cool.