Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Stylized elf character Texturing feedback

wisra
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
wisra polycounter lvl 3
Hello people. So i have been working on the first draft of my textures to my elf character and would love some thoughts and feedback on what i can improve. Especially on the face since its my first time texturing/painting skin. And i know the color scheme is a bit all over the place and i have not really made up my mind of what color sheme i want. But if u got any thoughts or feedback on that it would be cool too. 

Im working in substance painter and have taken inspiration from Overwatch and some other PBR stylized games.  

Sincerely Linus!  :D

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Do you have it from more even studio lighting where it's coming from the top?
  • wisra
    Offline / Send Message
    wisra polycounter lvl 3
    well so the funny thing is that i kinda messed up with the high poly so its kinda upside down both in zbrush,maya and substance. And i noticed it to late so i just went with it. Is that someting i should fix ? or can i fix the lightning in substance ?
  • Fabi_G
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Hi :)

I would fix this in the 3d App. In a pipeline you would want the models' transform to be correct before passing it on, so why not make it a habit?

As the textures are now, large areas miss variation, this makes the character look flat. I recommend using gradients to set visual focus. Super fine scratches and grunge could be added in final pass and should fit stylistically. I would be cautious with too much edge wear, it depends on the material (wouldn't show on folds in cloth). I think the face looks pale and is missing color zones. Maybe you can use some info from the dota2 character guide?

Keep it up!
  • wisra
    Offline / Send Message
    wisra polycounter lvl 3
    Fabi_G said:
    Hi :)

I would fix this in the 3d App. In a pipeline you would want the models' transform to be correct before passing it on, so why not make it a habit?

As the textures are now, large areas miss variation, this makes the character look flat. I recommend using gradients to set visual focus. Super fine scratches and grunge could be added in final pass and should fit stylistically. I would be cautious with too much edge wear, it depends on the material (wouldn't show on folds in cloth). I think the face looks pale and is missing color zones. Maybe you can use some info from the dota2 character guide?

Keep it up!
    Thank you for the feedback! :D will definitely look into fixing the orientation issue. And i will do my best to improve on the feedback given :D

• wisra
    Offline / Send Message
    wisra polycounter lvl 3
    Update: So i fixed the orintation issue and it changed how it looked alot. I also worked on some of the feedback i got last time. I still have not settled on a color scheme and im still working on that. I just started on the skin so i have not yet got to the hands yet. Would love some more feedback on how it looks right now :D  

Sincerely Linus :D  

• DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Looks better color wise, i was going to say something when you 1st posted but i decided not to.
    I will though probably take a risk in saying i think you have done all you can with this currently.  I'd probably pose this and start another design but this time look for a concept artwork that inspires you enough to see it through to completion. 

This time you start the new character you start a thread and update it with decent updates say start then every 20% increase of time put into completion each new update, so we can see progression, this would be about every week 1 update.

For myself as far as helping or critics go, this is the best i can do for this current project.
    Do what you wish though, i can only suggest you tackle a thoroughly thought out conceptual design.  I think it will show your talents a lot more than you making up your own designs, i fall into this category also, i do still try to make my own things but they are never as good as a fully dedicated concept artist.  (I still keep hope alive and do them still but at least i have a little more of an understanding, saying to start a new soon because i fell into my own trap with dedicating time to my own designs and its almost like i never did anything at all, since they do not get traction or help to boost the quality of my work.)

Hope it helps you and anyone else.
  • HarlequinWerewolf
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequinWerewolf polycounter
    At the moment it looks like you've put on a bunch of substance generators to set up dirt and cavity passes and it's really noticeable. Your eyebrows have a weird yellow colour around the whole mesh and it's also a very harsh edge which I think takes away from it being a more organic shape.

I would tone down some of your grunge passes, mess with the opacity and masks. If you're taking inspiration from OW I would make the whole thing a lot cleaner and simple in terms of textures. Go get some screenshots from OW or some get some character art texturing you REALLY like and try to mimic it. Really look for how they've used colour and how they've applied grunge. 

I think this has potential if you take a step back and have another go
  • wisra
    Offline / Send Message
    wisra polycounter lvl 3
    DavidCruz said:
    Looks better color wise, i was going to say something when you 1st posted but i decided not to.
    I will though probably take a risk in saying i think you have done all you can with this currently.  I'd probably pose this and start another design but this time look for a concept artwork that inspires you enough to see it through to completion. 

This time you start the new character you start a thread and update it with decent updates say start then every 20% increase of time put into completion each new update, so we can see progression, this would be about every week 1 update.

For myself as far as helping or critics go, this is the best i can do for this current project.
    Do what you wish though, i can only suggest you tackle a thoroughly thought out conceptual design.  I think it will show your talents a lot more than you making up your own designs, i fall into this category also, i do still try to make my own things but they are never as good as a fully dedicated concept artist.  (I still keep hope alive and do them still but at least i have a little more of an understanding, saying to start a new soon because i fell into my own trap with dedicating time to my own designs and its almost like i never did anything at all, since they do not get traction or help to boost the quality of my work.)

Hope it helps you and anyone else.
    Tnx for the feedback and the kind words :D I will definitely have this in the back of my mind when i start my next project :D
  • wisra
    Offline / Send Message
    wisra polycounter lvl 3
    At the moment it looks like you've put on a bunch of substance generators to set up dirt and cavity passes and it's really noticeable. Your eyebrows have a weird yellow colour around the whole mesh and it's also a very harsh edge which I think takes away from it being a more organic shape.

I would tone down some of your grunge passes, mess with the opacity and masks. If you're taking inspiration from OW I would make the whole thing a lot cleaner and simple in terms of textures. Go get some screenshots from OW or some get some character art texturing you REALLY like and try to mimic it. Really look for how they've used colour and how they've applied grunge. 

I think this has potential if you take a step back and have another go
    Tnx for the very helpful feedback! :D i will take into account what you and David has said and will do what i think i can do before i finish this project and move onto another project :D