Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

i need feedback on a portrait sculpt

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Lucaus polycounter lvl 6
aside from asymmetry, what can I do to improve this sculpt? the likeness is based on young Liza Minnelli but my main goal is to make the face look natural.

Replies

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    You can get a better reference material especially side view everything else is secondary
    If there are not good refs on the internet pick a movie of her and save as much as you need from as much angles as you need
    If you have unclear or covered area like cranium and back of the neck you could substitute that with someone else of whom you have
    clear ref
    Why is she a floating head ?
  • Lucaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucaus polycounter lvl 6
    You can get a better reference material especially side view everything else is secondary
    If there are not good refs on the internet pick a movie of her and save as much as you need from as much angles as you need
    If you have unclear or covered area like cranium and back of the neck you could substitute that with someone else of whom you have
    clear ref
    Why is she a floating head ?
    oh I have a lot more refs from her movies but I didn't want to post them here.

i only want to focus on the head and neck for now, the shoulders won't be showing since she will be wearing clothes.

• Lucaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucaus polycounter lvl 6
    this is the current progress, i got more refs as recommended, retopoed, and added teeth.
    I added my pureref board if anyone is interested.

• Lucaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucaus polycounter lvl 6
  • Lucaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucaus polycounter lvl 6
  • Lucaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucaus polycounter lvl 6
    update, not sure if the teeth are placed correctly it feels wrong.

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Parting of the lips should be roughly where middle of top incisors is or slightly  below that which make yours incorrect
    I checked your reference sheet and there is still no good relaxed side view

• birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    Adding to the above, the teeth also seem to be slightly bigger than in the refs and are incorrectly positioned in the arch, which looks wider and rounder in your sculpt while hers is a bit more narrow.

Find your most neutral frontal and side views and trace some guidance lines. You'll see incisors aren't quite centered in relation to her nose. The nose and face depth also seem a tiny bit off in the sculpt even after you take the expression into account, something that will get you in trouble when trying to use them as guidance to position the teeth.