Home Marmoset

How to use Marmoset with Highpoly models and only vertex colour for presentation?

Klinschi
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Klinschi polycounter lvl 2
Hello,

wanted to know, how i can use marmoset for my workflow.

1. Zbrush High Poly model
2. Painting without unwrap/uvs (so vertex colour only) (Problem, dont have any maps)
3. Exporting the High Poly to Marmoset, turn on vertex colour, so i can see the painting.
4. Dont have any maps, so what now?

I want to present my characters with marmoset, and dont wanna use unwrap in zbrush. Speed concepting.
But without maps, i cant get realistic results, or?

Have seen many artists, used marmoset as presenting tool. Directly from zbrush to marmoset, without unwrapping.

Greetings!

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hello -
    Are you asking "out of thin air", or have you actually tried what you describe ?
  • Klinschi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey pior!

I have tried it. Had my high poly in zbrush with millions of polys and painted it. It was all dynamesh. Exported it to marmoset.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Good and how does it look in Marmoset?
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Are you asking how to enable vertex colors on the mesh inside marmoset? The material has this option: 

Even tested it out to make sure it carries over on export, and can be read by marmoset.

• Klinschi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey and thank you so much for testing it ;-)!!

Well, if we have the vertex colour, could we make a map in marmoset of it? Or do we have to unwrap the model before in zbrush and THEN first polypaint it?

I try to understand, if i can avoid making an unwrap in zbrush and only use the vertex colour quick for presentation in marmoset. BUT, if i export the vertex, how can i make a map out of it in marmoset?
  • DavidCruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    If i understand any of this, you can do what you are saying but that would mean your design would be in the millions of polygons (to hold the amount of details you are talking about)so i hope your PC has a LOT of memory. (idk what happens to marmoset after a certain memory and polycount thresh hold exceeds its ability, you would need a creator t o answer that one afaik.)
    ^
    If you wanted it all to be vertex color data & high quality detailed.

If you dislike unwrapping a quick zbrush unwrap flatten would be nearly no time so if you wanted a map of any kind for whatever reason, you could produce one that way without doing anything.  So you get your map bake in marmo and your details.  

His quote:
    Speed concepting. < reason.

I can't wait to see what you do with this information.

• Michalo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Michalo polycounter lvl 2
    You can't make maps from polypaint if your model doesn't have uvs.

Toolbag can handle a lot of polys. But without uvs and textures you are limited to the global settings for matierials for parts of the model. You can make one part to have more spec, other less but that's all. You won't make anything as good as it could be without proper texturing and all advantages of pbr rendering.

But that can be enough. I use toolbag with my high poly renders because it's very fast and easy to set up, got enough power for caly renders and imports hi poly model really fast. Nat as fast as keyshot tho, but I belivie it's 2nd in line. At least if we speak about zbrush to toolbag.
    But I do clay renders. I'm don't have to texture and paint my models.