Home Technical Talk

Blender faster toggle Subdivision Surface level

ZeroBiit
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ZeroBiit polycounter lvl 5
Hi,
I'm switching from Maya to Blender, and I'm looking for some way to toggle between no Subdivision Surface and Subdivision Surface level 2 for example.

In Maya you can easily press the keystroke "1" and "3" to switch between no subdivision surface and smooth preview.

For what I know so far, in Blender, you can use CTRL+1(2,3,4,...) to enable a Subdivision Surface and CTRL+0 to go to level 0 when you are in Object Mode.

For my experience is a bit slow and uncomfortable use the shortcut CTRL+0 and constantly switch between Object and Edit mode, so I was wondering if there is a faster way to do that

Thank you.

Replies

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hello -
    I personally find the PME add-on (Pie Menu Editor) to be great for that sort of things, as not only does it allow you to build menus like the name implies but it also lets you easily create little macros and assign them to a key - without having to write a full-on addon to register just for a small action.

The PME macro command to go up to object mode, set the subdiv level (to, say, 0 or 2), and back down to edit more is : 

bpy.ops.object.mode_set(mode='OBJECT')  ;  bpy.ops.object.subdivision_set(level=2, relative=False)  ;  bpy.ops.object.mode_set(mode='EDIT', toggle=True)

Pretty straightforward. You can then add this line to a PME Macro and set any key you want.

It's unfortunate that Blender doesn't let you do that sort of simple assignment by default unlike Max does for instance. PME really is a great solution for that imho.

I hope this helps !
  • Barbiturat
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbiturat polycounter lvl 10
    ZeroBiit said:
    some way to toggle between no Subdivision Surface and Subdivision Surface level 2 
    Thank you.

Hi.
    Try this addon.

Assign any hotkey to
    object.subsmooth
  • ZeroBiit
    Offline / Send Message
    pior said:
    Hello -
    I personally find the PME add-on (Pie Menu Editor) to be great for that sort of things, as not only does it allow you to build menus like the name implies but it also lets you easily create little macros and assign them to a key - without having to write a full-on addon to register just for a small action.

The PME macro command to go up to object mode, set the subdiv level (to, say, 0 or 2), and back down to edit more is : 

bpy.ops.object.mode_set(mode='OBJECT')  ;  bpy.ops.object.subdivision_set(level=2, relative=False)  ;  bpy.ops.object.mode_set(mode='EDIT', toggle=True)

Pretty straightforward. You can then add this line to a PME Macro and set any key you want.

It's unfortunate that Blender doesn't let you do that sort of simple assignment by default unlike Max does for instance. PME really is a great solution for that imho.

I hope this helps !
    Hi,
    https://blendermarket.com/products/pie-menu-editor?ref=2
    is this the tool that are you talking about?
    Thank you so much for your reply!
  • ZeroBiit
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroBiit said:
    some way to toggle between no Subdivision Surface and Subdivision Surface level 2 
    Thank you.

Hi.
    Try this addon.

Assign any hotkey to

Hi,
    I've installed the script but I'm not sure how to assign the shortcut correctly. 
    In my case is activating the subdivision level 0 only. I'm sorry but I'm not used to blender. Could you help me?

• Barbiturat
    Offline / Send Message
    Barbiturat polycounter lvl 10
    ZeroBiit said:
    Hi,
    I've installed the script but I'm not sure how to assign the shortcut correctly. 
    In my case is activating the subdivision level 0 only. I'm sorry but I'm not used to blender. Could you help me?

Sorry :o , try to assign hotkey to object.subsmooth command instead.
    go to Preferences - Keymap - 3D View- Object Mode - Object Mode (Global) 

• ZeroBiit
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroBiit said:
    Hi,

Sorry :o , try to assign hotkey to object.subsmooth command instead.
    go to Preferences - Keymap - 3D View- Object Mode - Object Mode (Global) 

Oh that worked! Thank you so much!!!