Home Technical Talk

[3DS Max] Animation/keyframe behaving oddly

node
Offline / Send Message
99499 node
I'm making an animation chunk for my character in 3DS Max. I'm in autokey mode. I just finished my idle animations at frame 30 and jumped ahead 10 frames to get started on my running animation. Here's the issue:

When I transform make any change to my rig, it messes up the whole animation. It makes the entire animation from frame 0-40 jump to the change made at frame 40 INSTEAD of the change beginning from frame 30-40. Anybody know why? Hopefully that makes sense...

Replies

Options
    Offline / Send Message
    99499 node
    A couple more things: It isn't just freeze transforms that mess up my animation, its any adjustments I make to it period.

Here is a link to the file. https://drive.google.com/file/d/12JB1s4RURfe8e3bM6y51A98mqoDFHKo9/view?usp=sharing

To reproduce my problem:
    Observe the idle animation from frame 0-30.
    Jump to frame 40, make any change to the rig in autokey mode (for example just lift the foot up or rotate the waist or something).
    Now go back to frame zero. You will notice that the previous keyframes are overwritten and immediately jump to the change made at frame 40 instead of doing the idle animation first.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I got so confused because a file you posted a few months ago was also just named help.max and it was still in my download folder.  =)

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with your setup. You need to set more keyframes, because if there is no keyframe it doesn't hold the pose correctly.

Do this...
    1. Turn on Autokey
    2. Select all objects in the controller layer, go to frame 0.
    3. Press K on the keyboard or the big + (Set Key) button.
    4. Now go to frame 30 and press K again.
    5. Now go back to frame 15 and press K again. This makes' sure it loops.
    6. Now go to frame 40 and Transform to Zero, and then press K again.
    I make it a habit of selecting all controllers and setting a key before I change the timeslider.

I rarely use the DopeSheet, but just I just wanted to illustrate how many keys exist before and after...

Options
    Offline / Send Message
    99499 node
    monster said:
    I got so confused because a file you posted a few months ago was also just named help.max and it was still in my download folder.  =)

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with your setup. You need to set more keyframes, because if there is no keyframe it doesn't hold the pose correctly.

Do this...
    1. Turn on Autokey
    2. Select all objects in the controller layer, go to frame 0.
    3. Press K on the keyboard or the big + (Set Key) button.
    4. Now go to frame 30 and press K again.
    5. Now go back to frame 15 and press K again. This makes' sure it loops.
    6. Now go to frame 40 and Transform to Zero, and then press K again.
    I make it a habit of selecting all controllers and setting a key before I change the timeslider.

I rarely use the DopeSheet, but just I just wanted to illustrate how many keys exist before and after...
    Worked like a charm. I'll make sure to set all my keys in each keyframe moving forward. Thanks again.