Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Questions

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
robert.nally polycounter lvl 12
Is there a way to subdivide a low poly model and maintain the object's original shape while smoothing out faceted edges?

I know you can subdivide and keep the same shape, but you also end up keeping the faceting from the low poly model.
I also know you can subdivide and average things out which will remove any faceting from the low poly model, but that will also change your shape overall and often times make the model too skinny.

I know you can make a "mid-res" mesh as well that will attempt to subdivide and keep shape while also removing faceting, but that can be tricky and a bunch of work.  In a way you are almost essentially just making the high-poly model in Maya then as opposed to ZBrush.

Is there something I can do with polygroups (I don't know much about them) or the inflate adjuster/slider in Zbrush?  If there is a good tutorial out there that someone can point me to that would be much appreciated.

Rob

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Creasing is your answer. You can manually crease by masking out the polygons you want, which is a pain. Creasing by angle, or you can crease by polygroup if they already exist. If not, youcan just hit polygroup by angle -> crease by pg. Lastly, there's a handy script if you're a max user, that will crease by smoothing groups.