Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shenya

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
miica polycounter lvl 13
Hi,

I haven't seen anyone worked on Global Game Art Contest (https://www.ggac.net/), I wonder if anyone knows about it, I only knew when I saw the ads on Artstation recently.

I am working on a female character (because my last male character failed horribly in my previous Artstation challenge https://www.artstation.com/contests/nvidia-metropia-2042/challenges/61/submissions/41741, I think I will have better chance with female). Armed with some previous experience, this time I am going to do my very best to improve on the quality of my works.

If I read correctly the title and theme is Unknown World: Holy Spirits among Mountains and Seas.

The character I had in mind is living in a world with mythical creatures, and I wanted to create a character that is humanlike but not human. Something like elves but the elves in Lord of the rings still looks very human to me, if I can I will try to achieve a look that slightly more "stylized".

The current design I have is one with long ears, proportionally very tall.. I will keep adjusting and improving the design. I will attempt to push the facial feature too but wanted to keep it attractive. For the hair I will consider adding some braids. I will also test stylized the hand a bit (goal is to make her not too human, more interesting I think). Costumes also Work in progress.. probably won't change too much from here (only because I am not good in coming up with different ideas for the design)

I saw the artworks for the art challenge for the previous years and the featured one looked detailed, and having some complex elements, my current design are not going to be favored so I will put efforts in adding more details and elements to the design. I learned from my Artstation Challenge that my design for character is very weak, so this time I hope to do more iterations on the design.

With this progress thread, I hope peoples that happened to saw this can give their inputs if any.. feedbacks are welcomed and really appreciated.

Btw, Character base body is modified from the female character that I did previously on the Feudal Japan Arstation Challenge https://www.artstation.com/contests/feudal-japan/challenges/53/submissions/34611

Replies

• miica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miica polycounter lvl 13
    I just did some planning on the schedule... I thought I still have plenty of times but once I break it down, it's actually really packed, and I also still need to work on my freelance job, so it's going to be SUPER challenging.

I am going to render the character in Arnold because I have some experience with it in my previous male Character, and because I think there's more room to play with and I could achieve a better quality look with it with my current ability.

These are some of my main references:

I did sketch a bit on the character before I start but it was so rough the face was blank and all things blurry, I might put it up later... my main sketch is actually in my brain :p  I start working on my character in Zbrush with that rough sketch and some ideas in my head and those references I collected.

• miica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miica polycounter lvl 13
    Some update on the character... I don't think I will be able to submit this for the contest... so please ignore the schedule above.

I think I will go with this design, and start refining and polishing the model to create a complete high poly model that I can use to create the midres model (for baking and rigging).

• miica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miica polycounter lvl 13
    After nearly 9 months, I posted the work to artstation!

more about it here: