Home Technical Talk

Blender: Baffling problem with vertices...

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
Hi all,
Got a weird problem that I can't figure out. I've posted some screens below.
I'm working on a guitar body, just some standard poly modeling. Truly should be straight forward.
The first screenshot shows the topology in edit mode.
The next screenshot shows in object mode, you can see that there are vertices that are misbehaving. the last shot is with SubD , geez what is making it freak out like that?? :O 
I can't figure out why. I've had a look at the normals and they seem fine. I can't find anything wrong with those vertices - there is no overlap or doubles. There was some editing in that area - just moving things around to get a better topo.

I did notice that if I checked the Auto Smooth normals it helped a bit. But not completely. To the eye it's like those vertices are sunk below the surface but they aren't. I'm stumped.

I'm still kind of new to Blender so maybe I've buggered it up somehow. I would really appreciate if someone could take a look and help figure this out. :)

Thanks!
Daf

Replies

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Looks like 3 verts in a line on that poly. Anyhow when this happens to me I deleta the bad poly and the ones surrounding it and replace them with new ones. See if that does the trick. Just to be sure, move the middle vert in the line back a bit so its more square. Also if you are on 2.83 enable the check top right under overlays and snoop through the wireframe.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Just curious, was there a reason why you'd opted not to add a support/control edge loop along the top surface boundary, as you had the object's side?
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    kanga said:
    Looks like 3 verts in a line on that poly. Anyhow when this happens to me I delete the bad poly and the ones surrounding it and replace them with new ones.
    Thanks, Kanga - that did the trick! I had some weird polys in there. I had been focusing on the verts - when I started selecting polys to delete I saw that those expanded across the edge lines.
    Sometimes when I use the knife tool it doesn't create a vert between polys. Not sure why, will have to check into that to avoid future issues like this one.
    Thanks again!
    Daf

• Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    sacboi said:
    Just curious, was there a reason why you'd opted not to add a support/control edge loop along the top surface boundary, as you had the object's side?

Hi sacboi - I just haven't gotten that far yet. I may bevel the perimeter edge rather than support loop.
    Thanks!
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Baaaaaaad poly :)
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9