Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4][WIP] The trial

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
xChris polycounter lvl 10
Hey all, long time since I've posted a wip thread here, I've been dabbing at this environment for a couple months whenever I have a little time. Its a trail leading up to a temple some time in the feudal japan era, possibly walking past some graves, to a final fight? Still ironing out the who, what, when as I make the basic assets like grass, trees, etc. 

I settled on a golden hour type lighting, post storm to get some interesting looking materials, after trying out some overcast, mid day etc. I'm not the best lighter but hope you guys can let me know what ya think. One of my goals for this project is to be more conscious of color palettes and  composition. Thinking the first part of the path should feel welcoming, and as you get closer to the temple (more graves, more signs of a battle that happened), the trees get more red indicating blood shed. 

All critiques welcome!

Current status: 

What I started out with a few weeks back:

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looking cool, reminds me of one of my projects! A few things I'd point out; Tree leaves should have some variety with colour. Also, the transition from red tree to yellow tree is too sudden. I realize this is a WIP so I'm assuming you're working on both of these things? If you're going for a tertiary colour pallet, I feel changing the red trees to orange, so you would have orange and yellow trees, and then using red to attract to a focal point, would really help composition. Maybe if the pagoda or the temple was red?
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 10
    Looking cool, reminds me of one of my projects! A few things I'd point out; Tree leaves should have some variety with colour. Also, the transition from red tree to yellow tree is too sudden. I realize this is a WIP so I'm assuming you're working on both of these things? If you're going for a tertiary colour pallet, I feel changing the red trees to orange, so you would have orange and yellow trees, and then using red to attract to a focal point, would really help composition. Maybe if the pagoda or the temple was red?
    Your absolutely right, I added some orange in the mid ground trees, what do ya think? I think its a little difficult to see atm cause its blending in too much with the warm lighting and red, but would def like to know what you think from your perspective.

The pagoda is a fantastic idea, havent decided what color scheme i wanted for that yet, since ive been focusing on this first area, i think ill try to block something out this weekend to get that idea rolling too. 

Added some grass too, what do ya'll think? 

Another idea Im having is getting some roots to grow up on the left side of the gate, growing in a directional manner to the right, to subtlety lead eye to the temple. 
  • Fabi_G
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Fabi_G insane polycounter
    Nice atmosphere so far :)

Hm, I would expect the grass at the bottom of trees to be more mossy and sparse, since it wouldn't get that much light.

View in first image looked nicer to me, I guess because of the framing of the arc and the walls leading the way.
    It seems less balanced in latest shot, but I am sure it's subject of change.

I think something could be broken to interrupt the way and give foreshadowing of what's to come, e.g. a spear leaning against the arc, crow sitting on top, one of the pillars broken and fallen onto the way.

It would be cool if the leaves on the trees had more light scattering through.

Looking forward to your progress!
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I think if you're going for a red-orange-yellow fall colour scheme, the green grass doesn't really mesh that well. If you made the grass a brown or a yellow'ish green, it might mesh more.