Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Link - BOTW Fanart

abrynildsen
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
abrynildsen polycounter lvl 2
Making this thread so I have a place to showcase my new WIP, a fanart model of Link from Breath of the Wild! 
This isn't just a random project, I have a few intentions and goals with it: 

- I want to learn Blender. I recently switched from 3dsMax to Blender, and I want to use this project to really get to know Blender, and is there a better way than a fun project to learn new tools? 
- I Want to improve at stylized sculpting. Recently I've really been enjoying stylized sculpting. It's mostly been props, but I really want to learn how to make characters. I've made a few busts here and there, but I really want to try my hand at a full character. I want to take this project through the entire pipeline, from sculpting, retopo, texturing, rigging and all the way to a finished pose. 

I've already been at it for two days, and I feel like I'm almost done with the highpoly. There's still more work to do on the highpoly, but I can see the finish line.

I'm also gonna make some props for this guy, I'm gonna make the iPad Sheikah Slate, and at least a sword. I'm not sure yet if I'm gonna make the Master Sword, or simply make a low-level sword from the beginning of the game. I will take that into consideration when I get there. 

Any and all feedback, constructive criticism and pointers are welcome! 

Replies

• abrynildsen
    Offline / Send Message
    So yeah. 
    I got so engrossed in this project that I completely forgot to update this thread. 
    I've done so much work on this, and I'm so close to the finish line. 

Since my last update I've retopoed, unwrapped, textured and rigged the character. 
    I also made the Sheikah Slate and a basic sword. 

With a quick pose-test thrown in. 

I really struggled with the skin, I've never textured skin before, and it proved to be quite the challenge. I think I did.. ok with it, but I'm sure there's a lot of areas I can improve on. 

Next up is posing and rendering. 
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    Cool, if you want help with any of the skin i can link these helpful images that lead to guides and such some stick out to me more than others helpful you give it a once over.  Assuming since you are learning blender you are also texturing in blender? 
    I have yet to explore blender, i only touched the unwrapping once, the u.i. makes me want to break things. XD
    If you want to do the same for the clothing, if you want all of it to "pop" more or feel it might need more.

Will check out your stuff when you update.
  • abrynildsen
    Offline / Send Message
    @DavidCruz, Thanks for the link, I'll try to implement it! I am using Substance Painter for texturing actually, I tried texturing in Blender on a different occasion, and to quote a great man "it makes me want to break things".  
    I'm gonna do some more renders and poses tonight, to see how it looks.