Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

H&K MP5A3 What do you think

Galvanize
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Galvanize polycounter lvl 7
Just finished this project and would like to see what you guys think. What can I do better or change next time?

ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rAAm1E

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Couple things jump out at me, but I'm no hard surface expert:

Some hard edges are too hard looking. Like the edges on the fire selector seem almost like they might cut your thumb.

Damage and scratches are unrealistic. The discoloring on the reciever body is good but the deep scratches on the forward grip look like they could only be caused by somebody gouging the thing with a knife.

The rail that holds the sight, what are the clamps on the sides? They dont seem to be clamping onto the receiver. Am I misunderstanding something?

I really like the lighting presentation with the heavy backlight. Very clean and readable - overall a nice presentation.

• Galvanize
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Alex!

Damage and scratches are unrealistic. The discoloring on the reciever body is good but the deep scratches on the forward grip look like they could only be caused by somebody gouging the thing with a knife. 
    I tried to achieve a somewhat "banged up" look on this one. Might have gone to far with the front grip. ^^

The rail that holds the sight, what are the clamps on the sides? They dont seem to be clamping onto the receiver. Am I misunderstanding something? 

You mean this? The clamps always seem that tiny on every reference picture I found.

Thanks alot for the feedback! 
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    There are some really sharp edges on that RDS. Other than that the model looks fine.
    The main issue that i have with this and many guns on this forum is that metal doesnt look like metal. I dont know if its the lighting or the software you use to render (prob marmo) but it just doesnt look right. It all looks like plastic.
    As mentioned before the scratches are somewhat unrealistic. Some are very deep and very random and some are in places that they wouldnt naturally occur.
    Keep pushing!
  • Galvanize
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you teodar! Very useful feedback!