Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Help] Face loops for the hips

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
lucardo polycounter lvl 3
I'm trying to understando how the edge loops for the hips should work. I'm trying to internalize how to use 5-star poles to change direction of the loops.

I was able to come up with this:

Is this ok? Does it makes sense? How should i improve it, or what should i change?

Thanks!

Replies

• Joseph_Bramlett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph_Bramlett polycounter lvl 4
    You could use a layout like this where the front and back of the pelvis have a similar topological format. 

• Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Is this for making a base mesh for sculpting, or for an in-game model? For game models this setup has served me well:

• lucardo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see. The front part is quite similar, but in mine it was spiraling, so it's probably not good.

I think i would like to do something, to shape the glutes thou.

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter

check these out ^

also check out the daz genesis 8 (it's free), and gumroad and artstation as well. Lots of free stuff out there from professional artist. You'll find almost every single one is different.

There isn't one right way to do the topology. Best thing to do is determine what you're projects technical requirements are then start testing for that that. So if character needs to do overhead squats and have realistic muscle deformation you may need one topology, if it's a dime-a-dozen enemy in arena shooter it may need totally different setup. If you are just learning in general, it may be worthwhile to learn how to use a simple quick rig system like humanIK so you can experiment with different topologys and how they deform on your own.

For realistic deformations on medium-high poly model, I think the daz genesis 8 is really good. It's designed to morph into lots of different body types so it's topology replicates the natural curves of the body pretty well.

For general purpose what you have is probably fine, but you defintiely dont want to have any spiralling loops. No benefit to that and lots of headache. In general, perpendicular running edgeloops and equadistant quads is nice, though it's not always possible.

Test out some running/squatting bends to see if the pole on the ass will cause a problem. If so no big deal to scoot it to the side of the hips or a little higher where less bending would occur.

• lucardo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the replies guys.

It will be for a videogame, and the character will be seen from quite far away, so i would like to keep it low poly.

@Quasar That looks really nice!

Could you tell me why do you use this triangles? If for some deformations?

@Alex Javor That is a great ressource! Thank you!

some of thoes base meshes are very similar to what @Joseph_Bramlett suggested.

I even gave it a try, in a quick model, and i even liked the result:

The deformation seems to be quite ok:

What would you recomend to improve this simple topology?

Simply more edge rings on the articulation of the leg?
  • Joseph_Bramlett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph_Bramlett polycounter lvl 4

@lucardo Keep in mind that the topology needs to flow in this way to deform properly. You currently have the blue part on your mesh go all the way to the hips when in actuality they should only go to where the crotch meats the leg. This mesh Im showing you here is meant for in engine use and is intended for good deformation. Normal maps and some projection(conformation) work can shape this topology to better capture certain muscle groups like the butt. 

I originally did topology on a nude model like you did originally but all the vertex poles were problematic. 

• Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    @lucardo I think you're too worried about keeping all your polygons as quads. It's not necessary, unless its for sculpting. Remember that in the end, it's all triangles. Regarding your question about my usage of triangles:

I built the orange area to be able to stretch and compress as the leg pivots backwards and forwards, just like a real butt. The triangles are like the pivot point of that area. The other triangles on the mid thighs are mainly for smoothing out the silhouette without having to add complete edge loops. You know, you have to be efficient with your polygons! :) 

Like @Alex Javor mentioned, experiment to figure out your edge loops. 
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    If it works it works. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

But it's definitely good to always experiment and try different things. At this point though, without more experience taking characters through the full pipeline it will just be a guessing game for you though. I think best thing is to keep moving forward because any issues with the model will only become apparent once you get it to it's final stage. So the idea is to do rapid iteration to discover whatever unknown issues there might be, and then you can pull from this body of knowledge to experiment with different solutions and see what solves your problems best.