Home Technical Talk

[Maya] Snap 'Empty Group' to Polygonal Face

high dynamic range
Offline / Send Message
Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range

Maya users:

How do you get an empty group to snap and orient to a component face when you can't Snap Attach To from an Empty Group?

I find myself having to use a proxy mesh, and this feels wrong.

What I have at the moment:

The highlighted faces is basically where I would want an Empty Group (with the curve control in it) to snap itself to and orient itself to.

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    edit2: I tested and you can accomplish that using Snap Align Object(s) to Component + the method I described originally.

edit: I just realized my idea wasn't exactly what you meant. You might want to take a look at the bonus tools anyway, i haven't used these in align menu but maybe they can help

There may be a more "proper" way to do it, but a hack is:

make a primitive shape (like a cube), snap the cube to your component (use V hotkey). Group the cube, center pivot on the group, delete the child object. Just make sure the pivot on the primitive is centered (will be by default), because when you center pivot on the group it will go to center on the children.

Center pivot is in modify menu. I use it so often I set to hotkey Alt+C. Also in the bonus tools is a number of pivot modifiers I use super often as well.

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range