Home Unity

Central character with more than 15k polys (without clothes...)

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
sympatik polycounter lvl 10
Could this be feasible? Or should I remove the parts underneath the clothes (please considere that the clothes may vary from 2k to 5k polys, with avg 512 to 1024 textures)?

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    central character for what? 
    you could make it 200million poly's if you wanted to, but without knowing any details about what you're making, what its deployed on, what else is in the game etc there's no answer to this
  • sympatik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sympatik polycounter lvl 10
    Hi. I meant the general guidelines for the main character for a 3d person: I'm in Unity.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Still need more details.
    -Target hardware
    -Genre
    -Camera control style
    -What else is in the scene
    -countless other factors

You need to look at in terms of overall budget based on your target hardware and frame rate. If everything except the character is fairly conservative in terms of geo and shaders then you can go all out for that one asset, but otherwise you need to consider your entire scene as a whole

• jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    15k is fine- just remember to make a LOD. Usually most of the polys in the scene are in the environment anyways. 
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    jRocket said:
    Usually most of the polys in the scene are in the environment anyways. 
    That really depends on the game. Characters in modern pc/console games are pretty high poly(they can be in the range of 100k or even more). Assume an open world game with a lot of npcs. Assume that they are all just 10k and have 50 of them in a town. Assume that they have blendshapes too which increases vertex count. Now its not the environment that uses the most of resources, especially considering that skeletal meshes are more expensive than static meshes.