Home Animation Showcase & Critiques

First Animation - looking for critique please

Hi everyone!  I'm just getting started in animation and would love any feedback on my first animation.  It's a ball bounce off of a wall, modeled on reference that I shot.

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/520ea0f1e1c6/

Thanks!

Replies

• tholmes3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tholmes3d polycounter lvl 11
    This is a great first animation! Here are a few notes to help polish it up:
    • I noticed a little hitch at frame 34, where it goes up but doesn't continue the horizontal motion as I'd expect
    • Then the first half of the arc around frame 54 has less horizontal velocity than the second half of the arc, making the ball look like it speeds up in mid air.
    • The angle that the ball stretches on frame 49 should be in line with the direction it's travelling.
    • The spacing around the impact of frame 50 feels a bit intense for how much energy the ball has at that moment. It seems to slam down harder that I'd expect. It's not way off, but I think you could smooth that over a bit.
    Looking forward to seeing the next iteration or your next animation. Good luck!
  • kojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for the feedback, that's exactly the sort of thing I was hoping for!  :).  I'll take that on board and post an updated shot shortly.

• kojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the updated shot, after trying to take the above feedback into account:

https://syncsketch.com/sketch/520ea0f1e1c6/      (second video is the updated shot)
  • svrart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    svrart node
    What are you trying to accomplish?  Shading?  Movement? Aesthetics?

Overall I think it looks good. 
  • kojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comment!  I'm beginning to learn animation so ideally I am looking for technical feedback relating to the animation in each shot.  The shading / aesthetics are just thrown together to make the shot look a little more appealing, while learning a bit more about maya.