Home Technical Talk

How do I "deactivate" bending limbs with rigs on Maya?

node
Sorry for asking this, but I honestly don't know how to do this. I have searched some tutorials but, they haven't helped at all. Let's have a look, I have this humanoid character that I want to rig, however, it needs to be rigged in a sort of way that it looks "robotic", just like old 3d models used to look (take as an example the next GIF):
As you see, when Leon bend his arm, his arm doesn't bend, it literally...rotate? move? Well, it moves in a very unrealistic and robotic style. Also, we gotta remember the fact that those models used to be made in parts, they have separated limbs.

So I have my model, with all and separated limbs. Here's how it looks in the hierarchy:
And then I made the rig, and here's what I got:

When I rotate a joint, the area near to the limb I'm currently moving gets distorted. I remember about this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMplVXdI26M&list=PLJrScEirDF30zKnm3h1KnDzup68yJuQnH&index=8&t=0s ), which is a video about making a ps1-style character in Blender, and when he's making the rig, it didn't seem like he did anything special to get that effect.

I also saw this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8Z9B39Duvo&list=PLJrScEirDF30zKnm3h1KnDzup68yJuQnH&index=30&t=0s), he was using nurbs to control the character and apparently using those would allow me to get that effect, however, I need to export the model to Unity and as far as I know, Unity doesn't support nurbs.

So my guess is, is there any option in Maya that allow me to "deactivate" the bend effect given by joints? Any procedure I need to follow to get that effect?

Replies

• Alex_J
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    thats just going to come down to your skinning I expect. you can do some quick test using humanIK in maya. just do the skin weights with little falloff and see if that doesnt achieve the effect you want.

you dont need to export the controllers to unity. only the joints and the geo. Controllers are only there for the animator.
  • Ghogiel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    If that is a PS1 era gif of resident evil 2 or what ever, then there is probably no blend weights at all and the body parts are separately segmented parts that are weighted totally to a single bone. Hard to tell from that gif. But games like morrowind and FFVII did similar.

Basically kill any blend weights, and weight each part to only 1 bone