Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

June Handmaids tale

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Francois_K interpolator
Hey guys , sculpting June from Handmaids Tale.

Could use with some feedback on the face which I am struggling with currently 
Faces aren't really my expertise so anything that could guide me into the right direction would help.

Some refs

Replies

• tysiu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tysiu keyframe
    Nice work.
    I think maybe adding bags under eyes, some wrinkles on her forehead and a bit more of flesh around lip corners would add more character to your sculpt.

I can't see well (I might be wrong), but I think you've made her nose tip kinda pinched, and looking at your references now she has very rounded nose.

Can't wait to see more.
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Thanks for the feedback , will get on it right away :D
  • Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    An all around update

Still adjusting the lips the whole time...can't seem to get them right 

• carvuliero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carvuliero hero character
    Do you have side view reference ?  her profile and face depth are very questionable
    I suggest you hide her cap hair and blouse and clearly define bony landmarks like C7 pit of neck occipital protuberance as of now she dont have clavicles and her neck is all wrong length width origin/insertion all of it
    Looks like lower half of her face is longer and have different jaw line then whats on reference images .
    She has bulbous nose with wide bridge tapering to a diamond like ball , check greater alar cartilage diagram to be able to fix what you have so far - wings are missing
  • birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    Good progress so far!

Still adjusting the lips the whole time...can't seem to get them right 
    Her lips have some unusual features that once you nail down will increase the likeness.

Her cupid's bow is too wide in your sculpt, pronounced and rounded. Try to think of her upper lip edge as a wide arc then subtract a small circle from the middle to get the cupid bow shape and general peak direction.

The upper lip surface usually has 3 major volumes: one in the center directly under the cupid's bow flanked by two other "inflated" areas. Elisabeth Moss' upper lip though barely has any volume in the center. It creates a flat looking silhouette and the sharp crest right in the middle can be only seen in certain lights. The side areas of volume are unusually close to the corners of the mouth, creating two rounded peaks covering part of the lower lip when the mouth is closed and a highly visible silhouette when open.

Her lower lip is also a bit sharper and well defined towards the outer corners than the usual, giving it a characteristic look. Lastly, she still has a discreet support volume between it and the chin you seem to have accidentally removed in your latest update. This volume is important both to nail down likeness and make a mouth look realistic.

I hope you don't mind it, but I did an overpaint applying these details to the mouth you sculpted. I also haphazardly changed a bunch of other details that were distracting me—the chin being the most important when it comes to the mouth. Yours seem quite wide at the moment, so it'll throw off your sense of volume on the area under the lips. Be also careful with how her expression would affect the lips. In your sculpt only the middle of the upper lip is raised, in the majority your refs the corners are also raised in a subtle sneer. If you try to reproduce the exact upper lip arc seen in them without modifying the expression to accommodate it you'll end up with a way too thick upper lip.

• Francois_K
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    carvuliero  and @Birb for the explanation and paintover , really appreciate it a lot.

I realized I have a lot more to learn about anatomy so I am putting this project on hold and spend some focused time on anatomy until I have a bit more knowledge about it before I attempt another face. 

I will definitely go back and look at this thread though , it was really in depth from you guys!