Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Nectar

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
I'm learning the fundamentals of 2D art. I'm always looking to improve, your comments or critiques are welcome.

Replies

• Nectar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First trying to get familiar with proportional drawing, basic value evaluation in grayscale and fundamental oil painting techniques.  
  • Nectar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Same as before, working on proportions and values with oil paints.

• Nectar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daily oil painting practice ...
  • Nectar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more painting from observation, working to start experimenting with color soon.

• Elithenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elithenia polycounter
    oh I like the mask! That looks really fun to do! 
  • Nectar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Elithenia - yes, it definitely was!

Posting another similar exercise.

• birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    Nice still life studies! When you said you're learning the fundamentals I expected something different than what we're seeing here. The way you're avoiding most common beginner pitfalls tells me you're either a fast learner or have been quietly developing your painting and drawing skills for a little while—even if you thought it didn't count because you weren't actively engaged or very serious about it.

The ability to depict minute value changes is extremely useful and you've got a good eye for it. I also like the brushstrokes on the frames edges. Wait, I know it sounds weird hah, but you've got smooth (and well executed) shading so the edges are the only way to assess your natural brushwork. It's promising!

I'd like to see more pieces from imagination between those life studies. One of the best ways to internalize whatever you're studying is to put it in practice, and painting from imagination is also important to "debug" your weaknesses and develop problem-solving skills. Studies are highly mechanical in a certain way, they train your muscle memory and visualization/shading/line skills but they're not quite as good to develop the analytical side of the process. My advice is to sneak small quick pieces from imagination between them—they could be anything, even fake still lifes—to balance out the these two skillsets.
  • Nectar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi @birb, thank you for taking a look and for responding to the thread. I appreciate your comments about technique, i.e. edges, gradients/shading and brushwork. I hope to improve more on these topics moving forward, while increasing the complexity and removing some of the constraints I put on myself while painting. 

Good point about using pieces from imagination to focus on the problem-solving & analytical aspect. That had not occurred to me, but I can see how it would help. I'll continue studying still life and will work to include some imagination pieces as well. I've been working on some human figure and anatomy on the side, and I believe that might be a good fit to boost the analytical side of the process, while not necessarily focusing on the rendering aspect too much. So maybe I'll be back with pencil sketches in between the oil paintings to spice things up a little.

Cheers!    
  • Nectar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still going with grayscale still life, but trying to challenge myself a little more. What's better that my favorite boot, right? :pensive:

• Nectar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a last painting in grayscale before I move on to something with some color in it. I admit I missed the overall big shape, but it turned out much better than I expected hehe.

• Nectar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And here I go with my first attempts at using color instead of grayscale. One is from observation, while the other from a photograph.
  • Nectar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's one more still life... Been doing some other things on the side, hopefully will get to post some here too soon.

• Nectar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting more comfortable with darker shadows and brighter lights ...
  • Nectar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Back with some more oil painting!