Home Technical Talk

Warzone HDR sniper fabric

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Jimmito polycounter lvl 5
Hello Guys, 
I'm really fascinated by warzone weapons especially the HDR sniper. I noticed this fabric ( cloth ) on the telescope and I would like to create a similar one. Does it need a high poly and a baking process to create this fabric or it's only a low poly with no baking process but has only texture on it! 

Replies

• slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Hard to tell but I would assume they would at least sculpt cloth folds and bake that down before doing the pattern in Painter or Unreal.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    The net will be a tileable, the larger scale stuff is probably mostly modelled in.  Tricount isn't really an issue for stuff that's shoved right in your face. 
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    I would also vote for the tiling material. There is no unique detail on this screenshot that would prevent it from being a tiling texture.
  • birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    +1 to tiling due this, which I'm fairly sure is the same plain weave texture:

The only difference in the HDR rifle application is the part where the hand grips it. It seems to have been rotated by 45º, creating a distorted X pattern unlike the rest of the fabric.
  • Jimmito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jimmito polycounter lvl 5
    I'm still a beginner to understand the fabrics and how it works.. so what I understood from your replies that there is UV overlapping ( to reduce the uv size ) and texture tileable ( because there is no unique details on the fabric ), but what about the process itself, does the tileable texture mean not to use the high poly of the mesh ( no baking process ) and use only a low poly + this tileable texture ? .. I'm  sorry guys if I'm too noob but there is no a better place that has professional artists like you.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Thats right, you don't need to make the full shape as highpoly. You can make the tileable textures in various ways. You could model a small part of the net  in a flat shape as highpoly and bake it to a plane to get a tiling texture, or you could make it in Substance Designer for example.  Then you just put it on the lowpoly, and scale the uvs of the lowpoly to get the desired texture scale.If the tileable texture contains only a small part of the net, the uvs of the lowpoly would be huge and go way out from 0-1 space. And thats fine. Thats how tileable materials work.