Home Unity

[Blender/Max/Unity]How to re-order skeleton bone hierarchy?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Zoddo polycounter lvl 5
Hello, I am having troubles with replacing a skinned mesh with another mesh.

To give more detail;
SteamVR in Unity uses a skinned glove mesh for hand controllers(image below), and I want to replace it with human hands.

I have imported the glove model from SteamVR into 3dsmax and Blender, and removed the mesh and applied my own mesh to the skeleton and weighted the verts.

However when I now replace the glove mesh in Unity it looks like this;
But it should look like this;

So once I took a closer look at the differences between the two meshes, I noticed that on my new custom hand mesh that the bone structure/hierarchy was different. It was in alphabetical order, and it should not be.
This is the bone structure on my own mesh;
But this is how it is supposed to be;

Does anyone know how i can restructure the bone layout/order inside either Blender or 3ds max?

thanks in advance.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    The bone order shouldn't matter, as long as each bone is linked to the same parent as before. 

You could try however to unlink all the bones, then link them in the order you wish them to appear. Might work?
  • Zoddo
    Offline / Send Message
    Zoddo polycounter lvl 5
    The bone order shouldn't matter, as long as each bone is linked to the same parent as before. 

You could try however to unlink all the bones, then link them in the order you wish them to appear. Might work?

I tried doing that, but they go back to alphabetical order automatically...
    I am sort of out of clues, besides that it could may be a Unity bug perhaps. But this isn't a Unity forum so i'll just leave that out.