Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My "blender-learning" journey

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
DESMOND polycounter lvl 8
Hi everyone!

It was more than 10 years that I was using 3ds max to model things, but I think that the time has come... It's time to switch to Blender! 

I can't remember any 3ds max's updates for the last 10 years that were at least close to be as cool as Blender updates every time!

So I guess that 3ds max and other Autodesk's products are going to disappear from our industry soon. It just make no sense anymore to keep using those tools.

And here is my first model that I did in Blender ;) It was painful to get used to UI and weird workflow, but it's getting better...

Replies

• conflig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conflig polycounter lvl 5
    Hi. You will get used to it pretty quickly. Only thing blender is still lacking are UV tools.. Also, blender has a lot of hidden features like Loop tools which are essential for hard surface. 

And would suggest downloading edge flow plugin. I'm sure you will find it handy for HS modeling :) 
    https://github.com/BenjaminSauder/EdgeFlow

or Hard ops/Box cutter but that is a paid plug in.. but with every cent 
  • DESMOND
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conflig said:
    Hi. You will get used to it pretty quickly. Only thing blender is still lacking are UV tools.. Also, blender has a lot of hidden features like Loop tools which are essential for hard surface. 

And would suggest downloading edge flow plugin. I'm sure you will find it handy for HS modeling :) 
    https://github.com/BenjaminSauder/EdgeFlow

or Hard ops/Box cutter but that is a paid plug in.. but with every cent 
    Thank you! Yeah, I have found Edge Flow add-on, and I have bought the BoxCutter. The BoxCutter was probably the main reason why I have finally decided to try Blender ;) 
  • DESMOND
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I truly felt the power of boxcutter while I was making this Leupold red dot sight. The body of this red dot is just insane, it's asymmetrical and it's all made in one piece! Without booleans all of those tricky tilted slices wouldn't be possible so easily.
    Cheers!

• DESMOND
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Work in progress. 
    I have started to work on this revolver based on one of the concepts of Eldar Safin (https://www.artstation.com/ravenor )
    The base shape is done, now it's the time to work on some medium and small shapes. I think I will try to use KitOps or DecalMachine for that.

• DESMOND
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still working on this sci-fi revolver based on the concept of Eldar Safin.
    I think I'm getting closer to the end, what do you think? For now, it's just the base for high-poly.
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    I think it looks cool but a bit too many small details make it noisy, especially the front, whereas the grip is kinda flat and boring. I know you are following a concept but maybe improvise a bit.
  • DESMOND
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 said:
    I think it looks cool but a bit too many small details make it noisy, especially the front, whereas the grip is kinda flat and boring. I know you are following a concept but maybe improvise a bit.
    Thanks! I was planning to add some small details on the grip as well. Do you think it's going to help to re-balance everything?
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Yea, either remove some of the small details at the front or add more detail at the grip but try to reuse the same design. Something like the 3 oblique lines at the front you could reuse somehow by doing 3 cuts or stripes in the grip, just an example:
    Maybe not go around the whole grip, just small cuts or dents...
  • DESMOND
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 said:
    Yea, either remove some of the small details at the front or add more detail at the grip but try to reuse the same design. Something like the 3 oblique lines at the front you could reuse somehow by doing 3 cuts or stripes in the grip, just an example:
    Maybe not go around the whole grip, just small cuts or dents...
    Thank you, I was actually thinking about adding some lines on the front part of the grip, so it means that I'm not the only one who think that it would help ;)