Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tintin on the Moon Project (open to improvement suggestions)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Tea Monster polycounter lvl 14
I decided to make a quick model of Tintin's rocket on the moon. Things quickly got out of hand and I wound up with two rigged characters and two moonscapes. I've tried to get some nice renders out of these (lots of postpro in PS). 
I'm posting these as I'm impressed at how nicely these have turned out compared to their minimalist cartoon-style creation. Knowing that I like these, I am well aware that with some extra work I could push it further. If anyone has any suggestions, let me know. 

Replies

• JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    I feel like it could use a more consistent art style. Right now it has cartoon elements, stylized elements, and somewhat realistic elements all kind of at odds with each other. Maybe finding some good art style reference would help you decide how to push things forward.

Also, the lighting feels off. It kind of looks like the moon, the characters and the spaceship are all being lit differently. If you are trying to go for a realistic lighting set up, a single directional light with a realistic amount of bounce should be all you need. If you are going for cartoony or stylized lighting, it might help to look up reference for that kind of look.
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 14
    Cheers! I composited a lot of the elements to get around having the ship shadowing on the moon. I'll try and render more of them together. 
    I cheated the mountains in the ground shot and I was telling myself that was a bad idea. 

Thanks for the comments, I'll work on it and update.