Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AKS - FPS Prop

triangle
Offline / Send Message
MagicTurtle triangle
Hi! I'd like to share my latest work i did to step up my hard surface and texturing skills, an AKS designed to beign used in a current gen FPS game.

I made the high poly in Maya and sculpted some smaller details like the ID numbers in Zbrush, Low poly and Uvs are made in Maya too. I then baked all the maps in Marmoset and textured everything inside Substance Painter.

I'd really like to give a huge twist to my portfolio and possibly have a chance to join the industry by the end of this year, so any form of criticism is really higly appreciated.

More pictures and Marmoset view: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/v2A8x6

Replies

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Hey,
    You took some liberties as far as accuracy, the biggest one is the upper receiver. The longitudinal half cylinder thingy is bigger in reality and it fades in the rest of the shape, not end abruptly on the sides. The perpendicular ridges are way more pronounced and there are some longitudinal ridges also.

(I know its from an airsoft gun but its still pretty close to the real one)
    There are some shading issues like the fact that the front side of the magazine is flat in reality, yours is curved. Same goes for the side of the pistol grip.
    The material definition needs some work, especially the metal wich is very much the same on all parts of your gun. Edge wear is consistent and in places that it shouldnt be. Also, add some variation to the roughness.
    Keep at it!

Edit: can you post some wires, im curious about the topology.
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    The proportions are off on almost every part and its very noticeable, it has to look way more accurate if you want this to be a model for current FPS games. Take a look at the image below and compare it to your AKM.

httpsc8alamycomcompC2CN0Nrussian-akms-rifle-modernized-folding-stock-version-of-the-ubiquitous-C2CN0Njpg

• MagicTurtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicTurtle triangle
    @teodar23 Thank you for the critique! I was afraid the liberty i took with the modeling of some parts could become a problem, i'm not a firearms expert by any means so i tried to focus more on the overall look of the rifle, I'll do more research next time.

Looking at the model after a couple days I totally agree about how the textures looks. I'm going to rework them to add some more details and fix some incoherences.

You can check the topology trough the marmoset viewer here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/v2A8x6

@Zi0 Has i explained before, i tought it was okay to mix and match a bit and i took some freedom during the modeling, rookie mistake, im going to be more carefull next time. Could you elaborate further on which parts of the rifle looks out of proportion?
  • teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    I dont think many 3d artists are also firearms experts or experts in the field of the thing that they are trying to replicate. They just do a lot of research beforehand.
    Having said that, i've seen a lot of games that dont put focus on accuracy, even those that are simulators or pretend to be one. But they still try to have a decent representation for the real thing and, as i said, that takes some googling up tons of references.
    There are loads of threads on this forum of ppl just going crazy with the details, doing the inner parts of guns, making sure they understand how the thing works, and so on. Im not saying you shoud do that, just saying that its a lot of work...
  • MagicTurtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicTurtle triangle
    That's totally true, I thought I had enough material but it ended up beign not enough. Lesson learned, thank you for the reality check :)
  • Zi0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Could you elaborate further on which parts of the rifle looks out of proportion?
    The majority of the parts have proportion errors, look at the front sight, charging handle and the receiver cover. If you compare your AKS to a real one the mistakes become quite obvious.