Home Technical Talk

How Do I Model Tank Tracks?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
NURBS polycounter lvl 3
I really like tanks. I really like modeling tanks. I really don't like modeling tank tracks because I can never get them to fit correctly around the wheels. I've searched all over the internet and I haven't been able to find any helpful tutorials. How do I create tank tracks that can fit around tank wheels? I would really like advice that doesn't use MASH because I use Maya LT and Maya LT does not have MASH.

Replies

• FrankPolygon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FrankPolygon grand marshal polycounter
    How to approach the modeling really depends on what the model will be used for and the technical limitations. Two common methods for creating tracks are: Model a continuous band that matches the shape of the tracks and use animated textures to simulate track link movement. Instance an individual track link or track link segment and deform it along a curved path.

Track animations should account for a few different things: the movement of the individual links around the tracks, the movement of the running gear and the movement of the tracks and running gear relative to the terrain.

Band type tracks are easier to animate because they can expand or contract slightly without creating any major issues. Minor texture stretching can occur but if the band has enough segments and is animated correctly then it's not that noticeable. This type of track model isn't completely accurate but it's a simple solution to a complex problem and looks decent enough.

Individual track links are a little more complex since they have to articulate without stretching. What makes modeling and animating individual track links difficult is the track length is effectively fixed based on the number of links per side. Different types of track connections can further complicate things. Single pin and double pin track move differently. There's also the issue of keeping the individual track links in sync with the teeth on the drive sprocket.

Getting everything to line up is a balancing act between the positioning of running gear elements (suspension arms, road wheels, idler wheels, etc.) and the total length of the track run. The track path should deform relative to the position of the running gear and the idler wheel should move back and forth so the overall length of the track remains the same when the road wheels move over the terrain. For more accurate animations there's also the added complexity of having areas of track that will go slack or taught, depending on whether that track is running faster or slower, forwards or backwards.

For minor alignment problems it's acceptable to uniformly scale all of the links up or down to get them to connect but it's important to avoid stretching the links along a single axis.

Band type tracks are probably a safe bet for in-game use. Instancing with curve or path based deformation is a good choice for more complex animation but the tool set needs to support it. Physics based solutions may be another option but given the alternatives it may be more work than it's worth.

The War Thunder Wiki has some documentation on how they did their tracks:

World of Tanks uses two types of track models:
    (Animated low detail band for in-game and static high detail links for viewing in the garage.)
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/8YQBQ (Toolbag Viewer and Video of the static tracks.)

The track models for Post Scriptum and Hell Let Loose appear to be more detailed bands:

Here's a break down of the low poly process for the Leclerc from Armored Warfare:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nQX164

Here's a break down of an M48A3 that uses band type tracks:

Here's a break down of T-64 tracks with reusable elements:

Here's some stacked bands that simulate links and end connectors:

Here's a Challenger 2 from SQUAD that appears to use stacked bands for the links and end connectors:

Here's an M2A3 Bradly from SQUAD with a high poly shot that shows the track bands:

Here's a wireframe of the M48A2 from War Thunder with multiple track bands:

If it comes to a point where you need individual track links that aren't animated and there's no easy solution for doing this in Maya LT then it may be worth looking at exporting the running gear and track links to Blender. Use the path and animation tools there to form the tracks then import the finished mesh back into Maya.

A lot of the technical details will depend on how the model will be used and whether the model needs individual track links or not. Hopefully someone with more experience in Maya LT can offer some suggestions on how to proceed based on your project's needs.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    Franks given a comprehensive answer already but I want to mention there is a game in development called "Gunner HEAT PC" you might want to check out. Look up their discord. The modelers for that game are active, showing lots of WIP and stuff.
  • NURBS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NURBS polycounter lvl 3
    Holy crap, this is amazing! Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!