Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M67 & M-84 Grenades. Game Ready.

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Mr_Nova polycounter lvl 4
Hello, I'm really new to this site and was looking for some critiques on my 3D work. Normally I don't get actual feedback even when I ask for it but I really want to improve and hopefully break into game development at some point, along with actually connecting with people who are into the same things. Anyways, this was my first attempt at making lowpoly assets for a game, so I started off small and making some grenades (I know it's probably cliche) but any feedback would really be appreciated. 

Everything was modeled in Blender, Textured in Substance Painter and finally was rendered using Eevee within Blender:

I mostly focused on the two grenades in the scene, the bullets are also low poly; The Flashbang has one whole map and the M67 and bullet share a separate map:

Finally just some solo images of each grenade: 

And that's it. Hopefully I can get some feedback regardless if it is good or bad, I want to improve so I appreciate it nontheless. Please let me know what you think and if you have any questions about anything just ask. Thank you. 

Replies

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Hey,
    Looking pretty good but there are some issues at first glance.

Blue - there are some shading errors in your mesh given away by the specular.
    Green - for game assets the silouete should be well defined in terms of polygons. You made the middle band thingy with polygons instead of adding them where it matters.
    Red - the scale of the texture features is quite large. If you compare this with the detail of the spherical grenade, it looks like a toy or something not made of metal. Also the intensity of the bump is quite high.

Again, add polygons where it matters, on the silouette of the object not the insides.

Use smoothing groups or whatever its called in blender (hard edges?) to avoid large patches of gradients in your normalmap. Unless you are using 16bit normalmaps, those gradients can create artifacts. Google the Toolbag baking tut by the guys at marmo, really good tutorial on baking in any program.
  • Boosted24v
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boosted24v polygon
    I can't really speak on the flashbang, I've never used one. But the M67 doesn't have that raised edge around the body, they have smooth bodies. Also I can't tell if its the lighting or the model, But i think the fuse housing and spoon are too thin. I found it incredibly hard to find good pictures, never would have thought googling "M67 grenade" would result in 90% other people's 3D models. but here are some good ones. FYI the 2 photos of the marines throwing the grenades were taken in May 2020, Same as the M67s I had in the Army 05-13

• Mr_Nova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 Thank you for the insight!

I never really paid much attention to the blue area you circled, but I do see what you mean, it looks as if the lighting gets cut off? I assume it may be another similar seam issue I had. I'll have to go back and check that. 

For the Green Area: I agree, I was aware of it and can easily go back and fix that, I was using the shrink wrap modifier to low poly my high poly version and it's suppose to kinda "gift wrap" my mesh, sadly it seems to struggle with round objects sometimes.... and it didn't seem to ever bake properly smooth like my highpoly did, but yes I agree I need to fix that.

The Red area makes perfect and believe me I tried to reduce the amount of loops in those areas because I knew they weren't too important, sadly for the pin ring, using shrink wrap was awful for that, so I had to fully make sure it just matched the look of the high poly. Otherwise it would look like the edge of the M67 only wayyyyy worse.... I will attempt retrying to fix those spots but it never seems to bake quite right in substance. 

I never knew about the tut for baking but I will check it out. Thank you for the feedback! I really appreciate it. I'll see what I can adjust.

• Mr_Nova
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't really speak on the flashbang, I've never used one. But the M67 doesn't have that raised edge around the body, they have smooth bodies. Also I can't tell if its the lighting or the model, But i think the fuse housing and spoon are too thin. I found it incredibly hard to find good pictures, never would have thought googling "M67 grenade" would result in 90% other people's 3D models. but here are some good ones. FYI the 2 photos of the marines throwing the grenades were taken in May 2020, Same as the M67s I had in the Army 05-13

It's okay, I haven't used a flashbang either, I was basing it off a good reference though (what i assume is a good reference haha.) I saw the pictures you posted and yeah they do have smooth bodies... its funny, my memory is foggy on M67's even though I used them a few times (I was in the Army too, Infantry.) Basically yeah I used another reference for the M67 and you get a weird, mixed bag of results so I picked one that had a raised edge, thankfully that is a very quick fix but thank you for pointing that out. 
  • Boosted24v
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boosted24v polygon
    If someone just googled M67 grenade an got the results I saw, I could easily see people make mistakes haha. Glad I could help a fellow 11B.