Home Technical Talk

Zbrush - Hand made fabric - No MD

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
GarethStandfield polycounter lvl 3

Hey everyone, hope youre safe in lockdown! Was wondering anyone have any good things in zbrush that would aid in making a dress? as off now the fabrics having to be very thick too not brake due to dynamesh so its looking very cartoonist, and i dont own Marvelous designer. Cinema 4ds cloth sim made some "interesting" very unusable stuff so is there anything inside of zbrush that can help with this? Or any good methods you know off for making a thin dress like in the reff. 

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    If i had to do this not in MD zbrush would only come in for the final touches.

The best way I can think of is to use curves to draw out the peaks and valleys of the folds and then loft together. Thats maya terminology, but probably you can do same thing in any software I imagine.

The benefit of that is that you stay low poly and also get the fluid control from using the curves. You'll need to spend hours and hours nudging and tweaking if having really realistic folds is the goal. Got to really look for where the weight and tension points are.

Then finally drop it into zbrush and sculpt in your secondary creases. Fine creases I'd do via texturing.

Sorry not the answer you asked for exactly, but i'd really avoid doing that in zbrush directly. If no other choice, you just stay low poly and use standard brush + move brush to push and pull until it looks good. No big secret, just time and careful attention.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Here's a few relevant videos - you can always make your clothing temporarily extra-thick. If you retain the polygroups, you can always delete the inner part and edge border then remake them thinner at the end.

• GarethStandfield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If i had to do this not in MD zbrush would only come in for the final touches.

The best way I can think of is to use curves to draw out the peaks and valleys of the folds and then loft together. Thats maya terminology, but probably you can do same thing in any software I imagine.

The benefit of that is that you stay low poly and also get the fluid control from using the curves. You'll need to spend hours and hours nudging and tweaking if having really realistic folds is the goal. Got to really look for where the weight and tension points are.

Then finally drop it into zbrush and sculpt in your secondary creases. Fine creases I'd do via texturing.

Sorry not the answer you asked for exactly, but i'd really avoid doing that in zbrush directly. If no other choice, you just stay low poly and use standard brush + move brush to push and pull until it looks good. No big secret, just time and careful attention.
    No worries at all mate, thats a solid response. Yer i might use thre free trial of MD as after following a tutorial it looks like this is.... days worth of work to learn about so might just wana bite the bullet and try learn it in a software the industry uses for its cloth, and hey 30 days is along time :o!
  • GarethStandfield
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a few relevant videos - you can always make your clothing temporarily extra-thick. If you retain the polygroups, you can always delete the inner part and edge border then remake them thinner at the end.

Ow wow thats a great idea, the thickness is 100% always an issue with realistic clothing for me so using pollygroups would fix a tone of that! cheers for the links