Home Career & Education

Why don't we have a "youre ready to start applying to jobs" forum.

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
ScopeDragon polycounter lvl 4
I think it would be a good idea for polylcount to pin a similar topic. It is way too hard to know when you have a work ready portfolio. And I know its annoying to see post like this but its more annoying to hear ;go get a solid foundation, go get gud, be better than the seniors to get a entry position. I'd like to ask who all think this would be a good or bad idea?

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    here is a thread where people who just got their first job post their portfolio, if you look through a lot of their artstations you can quickly get an idea of the quality bar a lot of them are hitting. 
    https://polycount.com/discussion/187512/recently-hired-in-aaa-show-us-your-portfolio/p1
  • ScopeDragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @PixelMasher as of right now only like 2 people have gotten hired in 2020 and neither of them were character artist. I think that a good pin for sure but it  doesn't really answer the question.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If the question is "How do I know when I'm good enough?" there is no straightforward answer.

The hiring process is drastically different from place to place. And from time to time. The best advice is what's been given, again and again.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    What is the question exactly?

If you want to know if you are good enough to get a job, apply for a job. Whats it matter if one person says you are or you aren't? If you want portfolio review just ask for one.

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Gonna copy what Alex said. When people want a review, they ask for a portfolio review in the 3D art section. Let people rip into your portfolio. Seems to be the case that when people start saying, "You're ready but keep making stuff", then you've finally hit that bar.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I echo @Eric Chadwick 's assertion that the exact science of determining when a portfolio is work ready is hard to deteremine, esopecially when it's in that gray area of "it is."

Took me 2.5 years to find a full time job with InXile after graduatring from USC.  I came out of uni having done internships at BLizzard (QA), Reverge Labs, art directed on 2 games (one of which shipped on Steam, 45 person teeam), and made other games.  I thought I was hot stuff coming out of uni.  And I wasn't even strictly a Character Artist with them; I think they hired me because they saw that I was able to do a little bit of everything incidentally (a lot of work that was before my most recent work).

It's an oversimplification of the frustration that your work should reflect the quality you see in games you play, but it's oddly the most precise still up till now.  I remember that frustration, and I still do at the moment trying to figure out which or where would I fit as a formal character artist with which and what team.

Problem is, in part, we 're artists, and we're HELLA judgmental with our tastes.
  • YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YF_Sticks polycounter lvl 5
    Start applying for jobs, then you'll quickly know if you're good enough to find a job. There are too many metrics that fall into place. It depends what artstyle you're going for, what studios you are applying to, what role etc etc. Your portfolio for blizzard should look different than your portfolio applying for Naughty Dog. 
    There's not really a checklist. The best thing as already suggested is to check portfolios from people who got an entry position or from people who have already been working in the industry for a while. Join communities and ask for feedback or contact people that you look up to if they would spare some time to review your portfolio (many will). Yes it takes work, but it does so for everyone.
  • ScopeDragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @YF_Sticks if thats the case, why not pay more for the position if they use this 1 in a million hiring methods. The only reason I'm working towards it is because I want nothing else.. but the industry seems toxic. From the way to get hired to the scary glass door reviews. If i ever make it in I don't plan on being taken advantage of like the glass door reviews.
  • YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ScopeDragon Could you elaborate more on your question? I think I don't completely understand what you are asking.
  • ScopeDragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @YF_Sticks To elaborate, I'm asking if it be a good idea for polylcount to have a pinned topic for portfolio reviews to see when one is ready to start applying to jobs.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    No, what did you mean by the "scary glass door reviews?"
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @YF_Sticks if thats the case, why not pay more for the position if they use this 1 in a million hiring methods.

Go look at freelance job postings for character artist. Choose any site. All you'll find is stuff like this:

Need five highly detailed realistic characters made to match reference, must be rigged, skinned, include texture and outfit variations.
    Price: $100

And there will be 50 applicants....

You are competing on global market, and much of the competition is kids who don't know their worth. All racing to bottom.
  • ScopeDragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian "Panda" Choi Well when ever do research on a company I like. The reviews from employees are overwhelmingly negative not because of the work or coworkers but the treatment from management. 
  • YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ScopeDragon You can post your work in 3D Art Showcase & Critiques if you want feedback. Or ask for a full portfolio review in the career section. Lots of people do that. There isn't really a point for a topic if "one is ready", because it's very individual. And the feedback you will get will be the same when you just ask for feedback anyway. 
    If you really need help and really want to improve fast and get precise feedback, I recommend you take a mentorship. It's one of the most effective ways to grow.

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    @YF_Sticks if thats the case, why not pay more for the position if they use this 1 in a million hiring methods. The only reason I'm working towards it is because I want nothing else.. but the industry seems toxic. From the way to get hired to the scary glass door reviews. If i ever make it in I don't plan on being taken advantage of like the glass door reviews.
    the problem is, thousand upon thousands of other people also don't want anything else.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    @YF_Sticks if thats the case, why not pay more for the position if they use this 1 in a million hiring methods.

Go look at freelance job postings for character artist. Choose any site. All you'll find is stuff like this:

Need five highly detailed realistic characters made to match reference, must be rigged, skinned, include texture and outfit variations.
    Price: $100

And there will be 50 applicants....

You are competing on global market, and much of the competition is kids who don't know their worth. All racing to bottom.
    This is true. And you can't really expect everyone on an art focused forum to understand this.
    The average demographic of applicants is a big issue that from a business sense is very very easy to take advantage of. I could elaborate but I don't think its possible to do that without offending everyone including myself lol.

For example in this forum post https://polycount.com/discussion/220659/need-help-portfolio-review#latest
    It is immediately assumed that there is something wrong with this (in my perspective) "very industry ready" artists portfolio and not the employer.
    Its almost a given, and I think its just something many have become accustomed to. I mean what other choice do random people on the internet have, its not like they can call the studio and ask.

Then again, "industry" is such a broad term and there is very little if any transparency whatsoever on what it takes to get a job, or what you actually do on the job for that matter.

I would say it really helps to focus on what you want, either from the pieces you're making or your portfolio as a whole.
    Like with my portfolio, there's proper critique specific to a position I'm applying for from the people I'm applying with (which is extremely rare)
    Totally random critique that may or may not be serious, valid, or helpful. Again these are humans here.
    And the absolute bat crazy s* from feminists, narcissists and most recently evangelists and black lives matter activists.

The last bit you're more likely to find on instagram. Who knows it may even get you a job.

Though in all seriousness, industry ready is a very vague term, so make sure you're clear about who's doing the hiring and what they want.
    And I understand, there are several instances where the job description, the recruiter, the lead and the director have totally different opinions on what is wanted, and then you get the job and its something else entirely.
    This is a very common problem, I don't know if the studios that have this problem are keen on resolving it or simply do not care.

Which is why a lot of hiring does depend on word of mouth and there is so much disparity on entry level portfolios.

Still shouldn't stop you from improving as an artist. I mean its a fact that if your work is upto your expected standard, which should be quite clear and usually dependent on a reference, if you market it right, you'll get the right eyes on it and the right sort of client most of the time.

Like we're going more into freelance territory here, as far as the AAA industry, really best not to speculate on reasons for rejection unless they give you one, and I mean give you a proper reason like a critique of your work.

For example here's one interesting experience I had.
    I'd applied with an earlier portfolio to Ubisoft and while I didn't get an interview the response times varied from 1 day to 6 months to 2 1/2 years.
    One studio (Bethesda) has an application from 4 years ago for a position that hasn't been updated since.
    They still haven't rejected me and I can't reapply without making a new profile which requires the old one to be deleted first.
    I've written to them to reject the damn thing, but heard nothing. 
    I was hoping to ask them in person at MIGS this year should it happen.

I mean portoflio improvement is a given either way, but was my portfolio close to entry level each time?
    Sure why not or maybe it wasn't, who knows?

Still helped me get clients that actually cared or had the time to care once I learned to go out and look.
    I will always believe that Mass Effect Andromeda should have won game of the year, rather game of the millennium since it was designed by the absolute creme de la creme of artists across the montreal cityscape all of whom lost their jobs when the studio was liquidated.

I mean its almost as though the game industry is not simply a business but an elaborate art movement to inspire humanity to better itself.

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    @Brian "Panda" Choi Well when ever do research on a company I like. The reviews from employees are overwhelmingly negative not because of the work or coworkers but the treatment from management. 

These are like any other online review - only people pissed off enough to make the effort to write a review actually write one. 
    In my experience there's always been a fairly distinct correlation between people who habitually direct blame for their own failings outwards and people who get canned cos they're a nightmare to work with. 

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR said:

I mean its almost as though the game industry is not simply a business but an elaborate art movement to inspire humanity to better itself.

It's like this:

If you make a game and you miss some detail that allows players to exploit the game, they will.

Same way, if you put yourself in vulnerable position to be exploited, you will.

Humans are still killing each other over skin pigmentation, I wouldn't waste time expecting the games industry to take crusade with some lofty ideals. As always, if you want to do things your way it's very possible.

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
     I wouldn't waste time expecting the games industry to take crusade with some lofty ideals.

They sure don't, the whole marketing campaign with Far Cry 5 implied a crusade against Make America Great Again, KKK and white supremacy.
    Ultimately it was just some run of the mill hero trope vs crazed Junkies hallucinating on acid.
    What a load of crock.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The industry will keep paying low wages, as long as the demand far outstrips the supply. Sad fact for the entry level, but it's not likely to change. More kids growing up playing games = more grads wanting to work on games.

Tough it out. Usually, only the most dedicated are going to make it through the funnel. 

However, random luck does still play a part. And the longer you stick with it, the greater the odds will bend in your favor.

Persistence pays off. Keep making things,.create a Topic and share screenshots, asking questions and seeking feedback. Keep reading tutorials, testing, searching, and keep updating your thread.

We've all been there, and many here want to help others with their journey.
  • YF_Sticks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well said by Eric. 
    I recommend that you don't focus on "the toxic side" of game development. Cause that energy should rather be spent on working on your portfolio. Yes there are problems in this industry, but every industry has its problems. And people who are working in game dev are some of the nicest and fun people to be around. You can get a lot of help and support these days. And if you work hard, it will pay off. For some quicker than for others. It took me a while too. 

Then make sure you apply to studios that excite you and you would really enjoy working there. Maybe for an entry position you can't choose too much, but you can still aim in a certain direction.

Hope this helps

• ScopeDragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Everyone gave awesome perspectives thing for me to think about. And my question was answered. This industry is just plain frustrating, nevertheless thanks for the feedback on my question.