Home Technical Talk

How should i optimize this UV's?

Hi,
I have got a Problem with my UV's first of all in the following Pictures i have Edges selected these are Ugly Seams ruining my Textures and different Colors they represent wich UV Shell is which.. So heres the Question how should i optimize it im really confussed and see no way to "fix" that Seam there if i Sew the UV Shells i get a mess i also tried in Substance "removing" the Seams with the Clone Tool but that haven't helped at all maybe you know how to optimize it i would be really grateful.

Pictures:

Many Greetings,
Iqualizier

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What does it look like with textures on it, and lighting?

What's the planned usage for this asset? Is it a smaller part of a larger model? What resolution textures are you using?

The UV probably needs a bit more space between the shells, to avoid color bleeding. Especially with LODs, and MIPs.
  • Iqualizierer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What does it look like with textures on it, and lighting?

What's the planned usage for this asset? Is it a smaller part of a larger model? What resolution textures are you using?

The UV probably needs a bit more space between the shells, to avoid color bleeding. Especially with LODs, and MIPs.

Thank you so much for your answer!
    The Asset is gonna be a Ship so its gonna be a large model the Texture Resolution is 4k
    How it looks like in Substance Painter:

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah. Don't use a giant single texture for larger assets. Use tiling textures, and straighten your UVs. See the modular section of the wiki for procedures. http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Modular_environments

Look closely at how real boats are constructed, how the planks are laid out and bent into shape, then conform your tiling UVs to match, adding edges to your mesh to support additional UV breaks.

For non-repeating details, use texture blending. You can also use trim sheets for connecting pieces, rails, fittings, etc.