Home Unreal Engine

Issues when importing rigged character from maya to unreal

JoW
JoW
node
Offline / Send Message
JoW node
Hey there,

I managed to export a rigged character from maya to unreal.
I´ve just selected all the mesh parts in maya+top joint and made sure to include deformations and baked the keys in Maya.
But upon import in Unreal I have two issues:
1. The eyes "pop out" on a couple of frames. I´d guess this is maybe a subframe baking issue from maya...?
2. The sclera geometry has a hole in it. They are based on a sphere, so there is a single vert in the middle, maybe thats an issue?

The rigger has left the project and I usually work in 3ds max, so I´m a bit lost here...

Replies

• JoW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoW node
    Ok, already found the solution to the first part of the issue:

If I set the interpolation in Unreal from "linear" to "step", it fixes the eyes popping issue.
    Still gotta figure out the missing poly issue...
  • JoW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoW node
    Ok, so, I fixed the missing poly issue by doing a retopo on the eye, apparently unreal doesn´t like poles.
    But now I´m stuck with a different issue.
    I can´t get the blendshape animation into unreal.
    I can get the blendshapes into unreal, that is not the issue.
    But any keys on the facial rig, which is blendshape based, are being ignored.

This seems to be an issue with how the facial rig is set up in maya, as I managed to get blendshape animation into unreal in a simple test setup.

My rigger has gone awol again and I don´t know my way around maya enough to fix it myself...
    Does anyone have any idea what could be the issue here?
    Maybe the issue is that the facial rig is controlled by a shape based facial rig, so the blendshapes don´t have direct keys on them?

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Unreal supports bones and simple blendshapes. No wraps, no fallicles, nothing like that. So keep it as basic as you can. But anyways, its hard to tell whats the issue without seeing the setup.