Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Cargo ship - Portfolio piece

Short introduction

Hi! my name is Ryan Thomason-Jones, i'm a 20 year old environment artist from the UK. Been doing 3D for around 5 years now, just graduating from Staffordshire University!

You can find my artstation here: https://www.artstation.com/ryanthomasonjones

What are the aims of this project:

• Create a sci-fi scene to add to portfolio.

• Work on composition and lighting

• Match to concept as closely as possible

• Be smart about workflow (Decals, modular assets, tiling textures)

This will be the concept art I am working from:

You can find the art & artist at:
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/nQJ0DO

Here is an outline of my proccess plan:

• Scene breakdown

• Asset List

• Blockout

• Lighting Pass

• Detailed blockout

• Mid poly

• Tiling textures

• Decal sheet

• Unwraps

• Materials inside UE4

• Fog cards

• Post processing

• Lighting check/finalization

• Screenshots.

So far I am in the pre production/planning stage of the scene! I'm separating the project into mini goals so that I don't become overwhelmed with such a huge scene, considering my experience with environment art so far. If I can avoid being burnt out at all by chipping away at the scene in sections it will be much more efficient and beneficial to the end result.

Here you can see i've separated the image into sections and colours. There are quite a few modular sections in the scene which will allow me to get some shapes in and build large forms quickly.

The reason i've left the cargo ships out for the time being is again just trying to limit my scope for the time being. This scene is a huge undertaking so i'm just trying to be realistic about what I can achieve.

Here i'm breaking down repeating elements that could be baked down to a trim sheet. I'm undecided if i'm going to be using POM is this scene since I've never used it but i'll have to experiment when I get to that point.

I will be using deffered mesh decals, going with a star citizen type approach with custom normals.

Looking forward to this project and can't wait to get on with more pre production!