Home Career & Education

What does everyone think about this aspect of game industry culture?

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
NikhilR polycounter
https://twitter.com/BlackDGamer1/status/1270582586503462913

From twitter thread:

"Game developers, are literally being pushed out of this industry, by left wing activists! I'm having developers come to me, left & right, telling me that they don't want to do this social justice crap! They only want to make games, like normal people!"

When I was in Toronto I did witness this on several occasions.
 Didn't realise it was such a widespread problem or just the way things are now.

Interesting read to get up to date on the challenges caused by this, i.e who's hired, what kind of content they have to work on, who remains and the perception of the audience given market/revenue considerations.

I don't particularly relate to this, certainly don't see it as a sound or ethical business model for longevity of a company. 

Replies

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    after the big debacle with TLOU2 I think the market will solve this problem
  • icegodofhungary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    icegodofhungary interpolator
    I'm not in the industry and I generally try to stay away from topics like these where someone who could hire me may look. But I think it's a gross mischaracterization to call this "left wing" activists. What people would consider SJWs are not actual leftists most of the time. Words mean something. The actual left wing is pretty on board with making fun games and not injecting idpol into everything. The left generally focuses on economic issues and would be more about unionizing the game industry and criticizing big companies. That's not to say the left isn't also against racism and sexism, just that they're not the 4chan stereotype of a SJW. Most of what these people are mad at come from liberals.

Reading through this guy's twitter, he's obviously an outrage junkie. The kind of person who still clings to gamergate and feels that having women wearing clothing in games is tantamount to communism and authoritarian rule. Basically a person with terrible politics and political instincts. I trust their usage of anonymous stories from within the industry about as much as I trust any random copypasta found online being true. There's plenty of people who make money being part of the anti-SJW crusade on social media and they do lie/make stuff up constantly. Just like there's an entire industry built around anti-liberal news and politics.

The guy you're quoting retweeted this :

" guess I just want to avoid "Me Chinese, Ching my name! Me put spyware in your game!"."

Pretty racist. You can have a talk about digital privacy without resorting to racist pantomime. So yeah, if people in the industry are worried about being fired over that kind of stuff, no shit. In such a diverse and international industry, the whole epic 4chan "it's just a joke" edgy shtick from the early 2000s is quite antiquated and unwanted.

These people can't separate their political opinions from offensive and bigoted behavior because that is their political opinions. These people are chronically online and are just as much obsessed with being outraged as the SJWs they rail against constantly. They grew up chronically online and don't know that twitter isn't politics, it's all manufactured bubbles. Watching some youtuber called pepehimmler6988 rant about why there's not enough cleavage in Mortal Kombat isn't politics. It's not even a real critique of the industry. It's just ignorant and stunted people looking for a reason to be mad.

Unplug, go online to the extent you find a reason to log off. Work on your art/programming. Nobody is going to fire you or not hire you because you have different opinions. They will, however, judge you based on your behavior and rightfully so.

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    I think it comes down to how people react in the end. As a company they are often forced to save face so have to do the needful. One does wonder why they are hired in the first place (ideally it is because they are suited to the job which is all it ought to be really)

This one incident comes to mind, 
    https://www.polygon.com/2018/7/6/17540382/guild-wars-2-developers-fired-arenanet

Sexual content and the depiction of women is a unique situation, particularly in the Japanese market which have a very different view of it. Sony recently took a stand against that without going into specifics of what is actually okay by its standards and its got the japanese market pretty confused.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sony-metoo-censorship-playstation-games-2019-4

• icegodofhungary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    icegodofhungary interpolator
    I personally think all these companies need to be reigned in through worker organization. If you have a say in how these social media conduct clauses are made, then all the better. If there's a mediator and companies are obligated to prove good cause for termination, that's good too. That takes real political action though and not posting wars with people online.

At the same time you're hired to do a job. If an art director comes to me and says model a Brutalist building, but I really love neoclassical architecture and think brutalism is a left-wing scourge on Western architecture, I still have to make it. It's not up to me to give my political opinion on the state of portraying beauty in architecture. One day you can be an AD and get to make decisions about what kind of buildings go in the game. It's not censorship to do your job. I will say once again, if this hierarchical structure within a company bothers you, organize your workplace. Get a new hierarchy or eliminate it all together. 

As for the Sony thing, that's just a company reacting to the market. People tend to think that companies carry some strict ideological goal and that's pretty funny. An international conglomerate only cares about one thing and that's money. They have no ideology. The whole point of the past 40 years of neoliberal politics is to eliminate ideology and replace it with markets. Sony will work what works for their profits and that's going to be pandering to different markets. I think the real problem is that there's a group of consumers who assume they're the only consumers that matter. But they're really only a small part of the market. So to dispel the cognitive dissonance  they come up with this idea that billion-dollar companies are somehow left wing communist strongholds. And somehow Marx forbade boobs in video games. Again, poor political instincts. Sony just doesn't care as much about their dollar as they do all dollars. There's a solution here and that's stop having these giant profit-seeking entities. If they don't seek profit then they don't chase the market forces that alienate the small groups of consumers.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I've heard before that "twitter is where nuance goes to die" and though I've definitely seen some productive conversations on twitter I think that it's generally true. Social media discourse has really grown into favoring extremes, like if you go on your social media page to talk about latest Marvel movie for example, you either love it and think it's the greatest thing ever or you absolutely hate it, and social media algorithms absolutely reward and enforce this behavior. It can change the way you think and the way you read stuff and I feel what happens is a lot of people mistake criticism or analysis as something negative with the intention of tearing it down. When often the opposite is true, you can absolutely love something and still admit it's problematic, has flaws and critique it.

For example I've gotten back into Minecraft, and am loving it. Trading with villagers is a thing that can give you a huge boost, but to deal with them optimally you almost have to treat them like a commodity, setting up Villager breeding farms to get the trades you want and then locking them away so they are safe from hostile mobs. You may even have to transport them great distances if a village isn't close to your base. Even though it's not intentional on part of the developers there are a lot of analogies you could make to colonialism, slave trading and things like that and you could analyze and critique it through this lens. You of course don't HAVE to play that way, but if you're interested in building farms and being the most optimal (this is what I like doing, I'm not really a cosmetic builder) then you will probably wind up tinkering with the idea. Critically analyzing how Minecraft has some colonialism elements to it, intentional or not can make me think about new ideas or new things like: what would a game without colonialism look like? Or: How could I keep the villagers and trading mechanics in this game and not have them treated like a commodity, how would that also impact my experience? If you're interested in a good nuanced take on this, specifically with Minecraft, this is worth checking out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6i5Ylu0mgM

I feel like that sort of nuance is lost with these sort of rage-baity takes on twitter. I also can't help but notice that a lot of the stories the twitter OP get, aren't from people in the industry, but students or people who know someone in the industry. If you've worked in the industry, you would know that not making a swastika (unless working on Wolfenstien) is pretty standard, even if it's an accidental one. Having a symbol that looks like one on a shop sign in your E rated game can potentially cause the game's rating to get bumped up if it's caught, which could mean impacted sales which are obviously not wanted. It's just a common sense thing, and it's small details like that in some of the stories that give me pause. Are there some people who are into social justice being huge assholes because they only bothered to skirt the most basic info and be loud about it? Yeah, sure happens in a lot of movements... However are they "taking over the industry?" no absolutely not, I've seen and experienced my fair share of wonderful talented people get the short end of the stick due to subtle discrimination than I've ever seen getting kicked out because of "loud leftists"

• ScopeDragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScopeDragon polycounter lvl 4
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    I try to avoid politics at the office. It can get be heated. But, we're all people, we socialize, and not everything we say in the office fits at every studio. We just have to get tuned to it, if that makes sense. Tone it down or change it. I know I met some devs that, when it comes to humor, it's just all twisted and weird. I know I say some weirdo stuff, but it's far out there for some others. Basically, I'm trying to drift the topic from the original post to what goes on at the office in general. The culture at the office comes from the people.
    When I was in San Diego/Southern California, different vibe. Same with in Seattle/PNW, different vibe. New York/NorthEast, different vibe, etc. Mix that with transplants, foreigners, POC, people with different religion, etc. It doesn't always work for certain personalities, and that's where HR comes in, soft skills, training, and all that.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    after the big debacle with TLOU2 I think the market will solve this problem
    Not a TLOU player myself, so probably I'm missing something, but can you explain how a homosexual main character and a transsexual character showing up had such an impact on the quality of the story? At least from what I understand story seems to be the big reason for the bad reception and I don't really see how Ellie being gay affected anything that was critised in that regard. I guess it speaks more about the players' reaction to downvote a game because of their own (political) believes than actually how what it meant for the game itself. So are you talking more about a pleasing the outrage-culture strategic move to avoid such a negative response or do you really think the game would have been better with more traditional roles?

Just because its the internet - its an honest question, since I've not played the game and only seen a review of the story, so maybe I'm really missing something here.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I dont have a ps4 anymore so i havent played it. But I read the leaked story and watched some videos of it. I also read a lot of the metacritic user reviews.

I am sure a large part of the noise is losers who are genuinely just automatically against anything they perceive to be "SJW" agenda focused - I don't really care what these children have to say, though Sony/Naughty Dog probably has an accurate scope of how much of their audience is composed of this type. I'd doubt it's insignificant.

But most of the criticism I've seen does seem legit and thoughtful. Basically, to summarize, it's an issue of removing the old, tried and true writers and replacing them with an amateur. Why Naughty Dog did that who knows I can only speculate. There is the Anita Sarkeesian character in the mix who is famous only for being a combatant against the anti-SJW crowd so I don't know what the big idea there was. She is one of those people who is on the right team but only knows how to fight and make a fuss so she harms her own cause more than advances it. Her inclusion is like dropping a bomb on a village to kill one insurgent - you create generations of enemies to take out one insignificant target. A lack of skill and judgement.

On one hand I am proud that a major developer took some risk and tried to attack some cultural issues with conviction and passion. Unfortunately it seems they executed this mission without enough skill or careful forethought so it backfired and will probably do more harm than good to the marginalized voices they tried to represent.

TBH I would expect more wisdom from a mature award winning studio but this just goes to show you can't rest on your laurels. I also read some stories about like 70% of the development team turning over so I am sure losing so much talent didn't help get a winning product out the door at all. This is why taking care of the team first is the only way to run a sustainable business. Employers need to be strategizing ways to earn employees for life - building tribes of developers that live and die together. I cant see any benefit to this toss a team together for a project, drop it entirely after launch only to repeat process again and again. So much chaos.

Anyway, I don't have much to say about the inclusion of diverse cast of characters and all that. I imagine most mature adults are somewhere in the reasonable zone of "sure I don't give a shit what a persons orientation is." But a story and it's characters areeither  good or not, regardless of trivial details like sexual orientation.

Disney does the best job of major publishers in moving a progressive conversation forward through storytelling. I mean they had the Star Wars debacle which is similar but in general we see steady progress from their films. More inclusive cast of characters, more thoughtful plots, and all the while sticking to the tried and true tenets of good storytelling.

I think one important thing that Disney has mostly done right (except with star wars, hence the backlash) is that they've worked forward in small steps. Kind of like boiling the proverbial lobster, they gradually introduce audience to new types of characters, ideas, settings, and so on.

What the amateur writer tries to do is explain their entire worldview in one go. They don't try to communicate skillfully with the audience, they just want to beat the audience into submission. It's not a conversation that will move anything forward. It's not storytelling anybody on either side of the spectrum is going to enjoy.

I'd say a more skillfull approach would be to include the diverse characters in the story as important secondary characters. Use the same techniques that make characters like Ellie, Joel, or Moana loveable and relatable with these characters. You aren't feeding the extremist ammo this way, or irritating core fans who have certain expectations. With time these new characters can grow on the audience, and just as we want in real life, the trivialness of their sexuality or gender will fall by the wayside. nobody will care because these are characters loved for the same reason all characters are loved.

Well it's too bad for Naughty Dog. Maybe they recover but the reputation is tarnished. Good thing is it's another example to all the beginners and indie wanna-be's that nobody is really so much of an expert, everybody is just winging it, and there is plenty of room in the market for anybody who wants to tell a story - you don't need big budget graphics, at the end of the day they won't save you.

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    OK, got it. Yeah, that's the impression that the reviews gave me - basically story is 'crap' regardless of SJW or not, but now I understand why you mentioned it. I didn't pay attention to their writing staff and their 'history', I was just looking at the game itself. 

Thanks for taking the time to expand on it, its really appreciated :)

Regarding the original topic - honestly people like the OP on twitter shouldn't get even remotely the time of the day. Whatever issue might be there to discuss is a wasted effort starting from posts like his. Its not about me disagreeing with his view, but his whole thing is about fuelling the flames, far away from facts or reality. I don't see a post like his a starting point for a discussion, just for a yelling match of entrenched positions.

It's now 30+ years that I've been playing video games. To expect society not to change through out that time and that affecting projects, both from consumer side as well as by who is actually creating the games, is ridiculous. My understanding of what is cool and entertaining has changed throughout the years and probably same can be said by everyone out there. Sometimes I disagreed with the changes and sometimes the changes just catch up with my preferences and worldview and sometimes the changes actually affected me and moved me forward. Games have become more inclusive and representative, but so has most of media (like Alex has shown with Disney), but that's not forcing some 'agenda'/'view' on society but more a reflection of what the society is actually like. You can see the same shift in who younger voters support and that shift has been going on for decades.

Since games are done by a younger generation of workers you will find these moral views rather represented. But at the same time I can guarantee you if you go to other industries you will find also some different predominant political views. From own experience most legal professions tend to be on the conservative side for example. Still I'm quite certain that in 99% of the cases its nowhere near as extreme as that twitter user presented it just to gain attention, and its far from being a real issue affecting your daily work. Its not like everybody out there stands 100% behind his company or product. After a decade working in different places its the first time I actually can say I really like what my company is doing, the project itself and how they do business.

If it really matters that much to you that your work represents your own moral values I guess you might get lucky or you have to start you own company...
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should have saved it, but I read somewhere the actual numbers of how many people use twitter, and then how many twitter users actually post, and the number if insignificantly small. So using Twitter as a gauge of culture seems basically useless. (assuming the numbers I read were legit)

• NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    https://chelseamarieohara.com/#/Papers/My-Story-Ubisoft-Toronto

This is more along the lines of the current situation with women speaking out about sexual harassment in the game industry, (Ubisoft Toronto in this case)
    I do know that a lot of hiring in Toronto is primarily motivated by maintaining diversity quotas and there are financial incentives to hiring women, but it does not cover treating them like human beings apparently.

What struck me as interesting is that this person was hired despite having no experience for the role and then trained for the role.
    As a bonus she was groped in the back of a car and treated like dirt by her superiors.

Ultimately I'm not sure if this made for a good game release in the long run.

Also what is the fascination with getting drunk in the west? Like I don't mean light social drinking, drinking to get absolutely smashed in the back of a cab where a horny asshole coworker who smells your hair in his time off fingers you?
    The victims assessment was that she was trying to fit in.

Where I was raised besides drinking being considered unhealthy and bad for your liver, the idea of losing control is considered logically unsound so why is it tolerated here? It doesn't seem to lead to anything worthwhile as far as I know.

Also this one, its pretty f*ed up
    https://twitter.com/PotvinRachel/status/1277371758266380288/photo/1

I'm not sure if this is a unique problem plaguing the game industry, both women seem to have moved to IT and haven't experienced anything similar.

I sometimes feel that it is because the demographic is too uncultured since they are hired primarly for technical skill rather than their ability to be professional?

Anyone who worked at Ubisoft care to verify these experiences? 

• Alex_J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not unique to games or any industry really. and it's good to hear both sides of the story before taking someones word for it. Nobody who has any skin in the game is going to say anything about that sort of thing online
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    That's what the whole #metoo movement was about. Definitely not a 'game industry only' problem...
  • birb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    birb interpolator
    I sometimes feel that it is because the demographic is too uncultured since they are hired primarly for technical skill rather than their ability to be professional?
    Maybe. However this is not a game-industry specific issue, but something for years deeply entrenched in the gaming culture that now leaks into the related professional settings. This sort of issue tends to crop up whenever you have a field where low-key versions of this is tolerated in its non-professional counterpart.

A great share of people working in this industry like games, right? Many grew up gaming. Many pretended they didn't see, applauded or directly engaged in the smaller creepy types of harassment like, dunno, demanding a female gamer to do a video call to prove she's a woman—"because women can't play games!", "use 'she' when referring to you? c'mon, you just want free loot!"; trying (or successfully) hacking them in an attempt to find nudes in their PC; repeatedly pestering a game dev company about how they hate the next game in this franchise has a female protagonist or how the company's new hire (a woman) will make them miss their launch deadlines "because you know how they are!".

Sexism doesn't need to be at overt sexual harassment levels to be damaging. When you create an atmosphere where low key sexism, racism and other flavors of discrimination and hostility is presented as "lol JK" whenever it looks like there'll be consequences they'll end up as sort of background radiation in that cultural circle. It's always there, tinging most interactions, omnipresent enough it's normalized just through its unrelenting, continued presence. That's what avoiding "normalization" is about: Trying to keep a shitty behavior from taking roots and leading to more extreme types of aggression by not letting their watered-down versions go unchallenged.

All these people who learned it's A-okay to be shitty won't stop being shitty overnight. They aren't pushy and hostile because they think it's funny, they do this because they think they're right and they have the right, and they learned all the tricks to avoid answering for it when called out. So when they enter in the industry, something they regard as an extension of the gamer culture, they take that baggage with them right through workplace door. And because their fellow coworkers are also used to participating or accepting this sort of behavior it'll fester, and because victims are seen as disruptive since no one else (who isn't being singled out for abuse) is complaining there's a huge pressure to take it in silence to not mar the workplace atmosphere. Who likes to deal with abuse? People will instinctively distance themselves from the concept, and that can mean downplaying and isolating victims who speak up and siding with the aggressor who is doing the possible to make it go away while being a nice guy to you in particular.

So you get someone with bad behavior, put them in a position in which they have both access to victims and power over them through the threat of directly or indirectly taking away their livelihood, in an environment where there's high peer pressure about not speaking up and doing that "woke SJW thing", the alarming escalation of the aggression and ensuing corporate rot comes as no surprise except to people blind to the origins of it, may it be because they lack the experience of being in a group being constantly targeted by abuse or because they deliberately insulate themselves or downplay it.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    NikhilR said:

hello currently employed ubisoft massive employee here looking to get fired from the job i spent years working to get by confirming/denying accusations in a random comment on a public forum. /s

Hope you weren't hoping for a serious answer to that question, lol.
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    fdfxd2 said:
    NikhilR said:

hello currently employed ubisoft massive employee here looking to get fired from the job i spent years working to get by confirming/denying accusations in a random comment on a public forum. /s

Hope you weren't hoping for a serious answer to that question, lol.
    Of course not, that's why I said "worked" at ubisoft.
    More likely to get feedback from puppets who's strings are cut, than one still under the whim of their corporate masters. 

Interestingly that analogy puts an interesting spin on the idea of "fingering" lol

Also I realise that even people that once worked there are unlikely to be candid about their experience, if they want to get back into the studio or in other studios.

Both those women now work in the IT/programming industry, so I'm wondering if its a combination of harassment, lack of mobility, poor working conditions and below average compensation that made them give the finger back.

One can of course be anonymous and say whatever I suppose.

Its why I find the industry so fascinating, its like a cross between entertainment industry (hollywood) and marketing (big tobacco)  but attempts to project itself as a STEM field filled with intellectuals.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Both those women now work in the IT/programming industry, so I'm wondering if its a combination of harassment, lack of mobility, poor working conditions and below average compensation that made them give the finger back.
    Well be that as it may, however elements of "Brotopia" proliferate regardless of industry, as others had commented which basically is just a stark reminder that testosterone fueled prerogative continues too foment, beneath a thin veneer of social civility.     
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    It's pretty horrible...
    And a lot of drinking,.. what is it with people drinking to get smashed drunk and become vulnerable in a professional setting?
    I don't understand why they don't have a cap on drinks served during company events, would atleast reduce liability on the company.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/365769/The_Ubisoft_paradox_How_the_publisher_enabled_a_culture_of_abuse_and_control.php#comments

This one I don't know what to think, I've never really understood north american/western dating culture.

https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr9o30