Home Technical Talk

Untitled Goose Game Rendering?

ziikutv
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
ziikutv polycounter lvl 9

Are these basically just meshes with diffuse only? How did they light this with little to no shadow? I am seeing some shadows which I question if are just baked in rather than rendered. Also confused about the hedges.

Replies

• gnoop
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    looks like 2d game to me  from those two screens,  vector graphic maybe
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    It's flat shaded 3d.  There's no magic there at all

They'll have done a nice shader but you could get basically the same effect by using semi emissive materials and ducking around with flat ambient lighting
  • ziikutv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ziikutv polycounter lvl 9
    gnoop said:
    looks like 2d game to me  from those two screens,  vector graphic maybe
    Its 3d here is a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcLzk_r7GXY
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    It's just flat colors and very low opacity shadows.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    maybe i using wrong term but i think its principle of occams razor says simplest possible explanation is most likely to be correct. so if i try to reproduce this, "It's just flat colors and very low opacity shadows" that's where i'd start.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    To be completely fair it's likely both more simple and more complicated than it seems - there's more than meets the eye.

UGG has an absolutely stellar art direction - meaning that whoever is in charge knows a ton about visuals, picture making, and so on. Which in turn means that they are likely not applying some 100% formulaic tech-driven approach, but rather are probably proactively adjusting things in the context of the bigger picture. As shown here on these beams being treated differently :

So to me the key to this art style is not about whichever shader is being used - it's about the artist behind the vision having a ton of experience in picture making.

It's also possible that I may be reading too much into this though, but I don't think so - this game is just so beautifully well made.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I think you're absolutely right,  they'll be adjusting colours, painting "shadows" in and paying a great deal of attention to the way the visuals are balanced - It's beautifully directed.  No need for anything fancy though, just vision and talent
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    If you bring up the midtones you can see what appears to be self-shadowing, so they could be dynamic, like a single sun/directional lamp with shadows on. The soft spots seem to be SSAO because the characters have them as well around their feet. The diffuse colors come from the vertices, with split polygons for the sharp changes.