Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Abandoned Greenhouse (Environment, C&C appreciated)

Hello everyone! I started this project last week and wanted to share the progress here. I'd really appreciate any kind of feedback because it's my first time working on this kind of big environment. It's also my very first time working with Unreal Engine. Project goal is to learn more about modular environments and create portfolio piece.

Here is the first block out of the environment in Unreal Engine:

Thank you! :)

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Looking good so far! I would put a walkway/trim around the water, instead of having the water go right up to the wall. Seems like it would be a bit more practical that way.
  • Harconem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harconem polycounter lvl 3
    This is really cool!! Looks good and modular! All I would do at this point is reinforce your focal point with lighting - draw the eye to the gazebo instead of the windows behind it.

Looking pretty sweet!
  • GreenFirefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good so far! I would put a walkway/trim around the water, instead of having the water go right up to the wall. Seems like it would be a bit more practical that way.
    That's a great idea. Thanks! Didn't even think about that. 
  • GreenFirefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harconem said:
    This is really cool!! Looks good and modular! All I would do at this point is reinforce your focal point with lighting - draw the eye to the gazebo instead of the windows behind it.

Looking pretty sweet!
    Thank you for the feedback. Lighting is surely something I really need to think about. 
  • GreenFirefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small Update.

Worked on the composition, added some trees in the background and also some broken stones. Created a hole in the ceiling(the other white parts are supposed to be glass).  I'm always too scared to add too many polygons, which usually makes some of my models look really bad. Have to redo some pieces and add some volume in them.

Having a bit of hard time with the texturing. I'm wondering how many materials per piece is okay? Can I created seamless texture(like brick wall) and use it with trim texture for a wall piece for example. That makes two materials per wall piece. Is multiple materials per piece okay, or is it better to separate these parts to different objects(with one material each)? Or how should I approach this?

• switz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    Multiple materials per object is bad - the engine will rerender the same object for each material assigned to it; so keep it all 1:1. Also don't be afraid to go crazy with polygons where you need it - it's 2020.. Have you seen the unreal 5 tech demo? lol
  • GreenFirefly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz said:
    Multiple materials per object is bad - the engine will rerender the same object for each material assigned to it; so keep it all 1:1. Also don't be afraid to go crazy with polygons where you need it - it's 2020.. Have you seen the unreal 5 tech demo? lol
    Thanks for the answer! Need to add some seamless pieces to my trim textures then. 

Yeah, I saw the demo! That is one of the reasons why I was really laughing to myself when I was wondering once again can I create edge loop or not :D 
  • JamesBrisnehan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesBrisnehan polycounter
    I don't mean to step on Switz's toes or anything, but the idea of only ever having one material for each mesh caught my attention. I know that keeping the number of draw calls in a level as low as possible is great for performance and frame rate. But I have also seen plenty of artists, on Polycount, Artstation, etc. use 2 or 3 materials on a hand full of meshes in their levels, especially with modular assets. And not just beginner artists, but pros, teachers, and industry vets as well. I am admittedly not a 'technical artist' and don't know too much about how game engines work, but I've just got to ask, having a few extra draw-calls here and there for the sake of a more efficient modular workflow can't be that bad. . . can it?