Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Explorer's Study - UE4

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
RustySpannerz polycounter lvl 13
Current Progress:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been a while since I posted work here, but my portfolio needs updating and I'm looking to get some thoughts on my latest work.

This is a piece I actually started around 3 years ago when I was looking for work, but got distracted with all the other things I wanted to make. I figured I could take another run at it since I've come a long way since the last work I posted. Everything is WIP - Lighting and lightmaps are pretty previewy. 

Secret Bookshelf Door^

I think I'm mostly struggling with composition and getting 4 shots I really like, probably because I set the layout 3 years ago and am just coming to making assets now. Part of the problem is that I've got this big ass desk just sitting in the middle of the room. So I tried to change things up and come up with a new setup, but I don't like any of my potentials any better: 

I'm also not a big fan of the file boxes I've made. I think probably because I came up with them, and they don't feel like something that really exists.

I've still got a bunch of props to make, but wanted to get thoughts on the general direction first, thanks for any help! 

Replies

• RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I decided to remove the top from the desk, I think it opens the area out a lot. 

Modelled some props, I still want to add more details to the globe, but I forgot at the time. I decided to make more Volume style books so they can be used more repetitively and it won't look bad. 

And here are the books in and globe in their place:

• teodar23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teodar23 sublime tool
    Nice,
    But i think that the lighting has some issues. This area id imagine to be very dark. Idk why it looks like that...

• RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some updates

Just noticed the weird bit on top of curtains, that doesn't have proper UVs yet
  • RustySpannerz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Went with a more cinematic look and baked on Production. Not sure if it's maybe a bit dark now, but I like the direction.

Also made a couple more props: 

Want to get started now on adding more clutter and making it look like someone has broken in to steal something

And I want to get more going on in this corner. Thinking about a knocked over lamp, so I can get an artificial light source in.

Speaking of artificial light, I tried adding lights to those fixtures. I think it looks good, but I don't think it's as dramatic. 

• Vizimir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vizimir polycounter lvl 4
    Hi,

for me the scene is to dark and a lot of details of the room is obscured by the shadows, I would add more inderict lighting from the window as like as in your previous screenshots. Also the version with artificial lighting is a bit confusing, its hard to tell which light source is the main and I feel a bit lost on what I should focus. Maybe try move the window highlight more to the desk from the floor and put on in ( the desk) some cool heroic prop. This way it would be your main focus point in the scene, and additionaly create two sub-focus points with subtle artifical lights on the map and on the ship model.

As for props, materials and general mood of the room I think it is good and its heading in the right direction. Maybe you can put there some exhibits the explorer gathered on his expeditions, some foreing sculptures, pieces of clothe, an old weapon etc. Also the ceiling look a bit too flat, maybe putting there some victorian ceilings details (but subtle) would help to break it.

Keep it coming!
    Cheers