Home Adobe Substance

Substance Painter - Additional ID Map Details From Layer

Alander787
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Alander787 polycounter lvl 3
Hi,

I have a model of a shoe, which has an ID map that corresponds to each part of the shoe, because I want to be able to quickly change the materials and make a lot of variations. However I also plan to add stitches as a layer in SP (not as a geometry of the highpoly model) and then later make multiple color variations.

My question is if it is possible to add additonal ID map info from the stitches layer, because later on I will need to make a BW mask for every part of the mesh from the ID map, but if those stitches won't be there, it would be pretty painful to do it by hand..

Replies

• CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    You should be able to use an anchor point to grab some info from your stitches layer and plug it into a mask. Most likely the base colour channel or the height channel will work best. You may need to add a levels node to increase contrast and get a clean mask. Hopefully that makes some sense. If not, I can record a quick demo of what I mean.
  • gnoop
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    You can drop whatever number of ID maps you need into SPainter project    and also use just any color image as ID map . Different one on each new layer.

I suggest to bake cryptomatte AOV in whatever 3d soft you use, load exr in Blender composer and make clean masks  for wherever you need .     For small  details  it creates much more accurate masking

• Alander787
    Offline / Send Message
    Alander787 polycounter lvl 3
    You should be able to use an anchor point to grab some info from your stitches layer and plug it into a mask. Most likely the base colour channel or the height channel will work best. You may need to add a levels node to increase contrast and get a clean mask. Hopefully that makes some sense. If not, I can record a quick demo of what I mean.
    That would be really helpful if you could do that
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth

There's a whole lot of other ways to change the colour of the stitches in SP, including using an HSL filter or a gradient filter. You say you need a mask though, so here is one method to extract one.

I should point out that anchors default to referencing the base colour channel. You can change this in the dropdown if you needed to reference a different channel, like height, for example.