Home General Discussion

The most amazing abandoned 3D sketching program

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Bracer polycounter lvl 7

The last time I was in this forum is 2015 !!! Man it is good to be back.
Of all the sketch to 3D program I have came across, this is the closet that come to real magic because of the lattice tool, so much so that I have to make a video to tell people about it.

If you guys have any connections with people who make those magical drawing to 3D app that seems to be stuck in white paper purgatory, please let me know ;p

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    That program is neat! Would be fun to mess around with. I can't ever see 3D artists using any workflow which is 2D with lattices though.

• Bracer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bracer polycounter lvl 7
    That program is neat! Would be fun to mess around with. I can't ever see 3D artists using any workflow which is 2D with lattices though.

Err....err...that would be me Sir, the head in that video was me going from drawing to that program to retopolization in Blender.
    But to be sure I agree with you because I don't see myself as a 3D artist, more of a fake hack, I have seen what the people here can do, it makes me want to hide in the shadows as far as my work is concern.
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    i think the issue is similar to why a program like zbrush has limited use beyond sculpting: with regular DCC you have 1:1 control on the actual components (edge, vert, face). But in zbrush, it's usually some half-automated tool where there is always some guessing what the algorithm is going to produce. So it takes longer to learn the idiosyncracies of the program and usually takes more clicks to get where you want.

There is some gurus like Pavlovich who master the program and can do amazing things but i think that is more a fluke of the right mind getting ahold of the right tool, but not something that can multiply to the majority.

I can see program like this being fun but not a mainstay in professional community that needs to get a lot of work done quickly and precisely.
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Sorry, I meant to say that I can't ever see 3D artists using software like this professionally.
  • Bracer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bracer polycounter lvl 7
    There is some gurus like Pavlovich who master the program and can do amazing things but i think that is more a fluke of the right mind getting ahold of the right tool, but not something that can multiply to the majority.

Wow, you put it so elegantly, yes, what a way to describe how some programs just click with some people.
  • Bracer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bracer polycounter lvl 7
    Sorry, I meant to say that I can't ever see 3D artists using software like this professionally.

No worries ;p
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Going to be honest and say that I don't get it. Like at all. Seems like an incredible amount of faffing about when really its 3D sculpting. I don't really see how a lattice modifier is like drawing, if anything drawing with "clay" in 3D is much more like drawing. While this program seems novel and cool that it happened it very much seems like a precursor to more modern sculpting approaches. Blender has an ass backwards way of assigning modifiers to begin with so the comparison is a tad off to me.

That's not to say that drawing from 2d to 3d isnt valuable, because it definitely is. But, if Blender is going to be brought up. I'd say just use this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFXwG-l9F0I&feature=emb_logo

• pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I have tried Teddy in the past, not sure if I've tried that one (Easytoy), will do asap.

Another tool in that same space is Curvy3D, which lets you create shapes out of 3 profile curves drawn freehand. It has quite a few other features to keep working from there (sculpting, remeshing, booleans) but unfortunatly it somewhat blows when it comes to handling symmetry. Kindof fun and useful still, I've used it a few times to generate a bunch of "profiled potatoes" to later assemble into refined concept blockouts in Blender.

http://www.curvy3d.com/

The irony is that indeed, pretty much no professional 3D artist (in the sense of : paid to build models based on concepts) will ever really need that, because at that stage the profiles and cross sections are already figured out in the model sheet so there is not much point going to a sketch-based app to establish these profiles.

But for the 2d-oriented person (not 2d as in "unable to think in 3d" but rather 2d as in "thinking of 3d shapes not as deformed blobs but rather in terms of profile curves and cross-sections like an industrial designer would"), this kind of approach is indeed extremely natural and in many ways faster that sculpting from a sphere. It also completely removes the need to constantly rotate the viewport. Draw the cross sections, done.

Personally I've been doing just that directly in Blender by drawing networks of polygon lines to define profiles and cross sections, and then shrinkwrapping a potato shape over that. It's not live as in Teddy/Easytoy/Curvy but it gives pretty much the same end result and allows for more precise editing of the curves and sections after the fact. The resulting shape is not round and smooth though, more like some fabric stretched over a wire frame, which I actually quite like.

This approach also gels very well with the design principle that states that a curve should almost always conform to one plane as opposed to twisting in space, as that leads to much more powerful and readable surfaces. Whereas sculpting tends to favor the opposite.

Fun topic, thank you for bringing it up. Could have been more clear about the app in question though, had to click around the vid past the intro to figure out what you were *actually* referring to, and you didn't even mention the name a single time :D
  • Bracer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bracer polycounter lvl 7
    I love love LOVE your reply pior, it is so thoughtful !
    Oh I guess I didn't mention it because when I show the program the name of the program is right on the title bar.  
    I really tried to like Curvy3D but it's way of drawing is not the same of Easy3D or Teddy, in Curvy3D, you draw a side profile and then a line, curvy 3D more like a loft program.

• Bracer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bracer polycounter lvl 7
    zachagreg, that video you are showing is incredibly novel as well, I wonder whether it is beginner friendly.
  • sacboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range
    Bracer said:
    zachagreg, that video you are showing is incredibly novel as well, I wonder whether it is beginner friendly.
    ...in terns of overall technique/workflow?!

Fairly straightforward user friendly, I should think.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just putting this out there because this was one of my favorite game concepts. Similar tech idea, but you'd draw out whatever you wanted to play as.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XotDig-NSXg
  • zachagreg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zachagreg ngon master
    Bracer said:

That was kind of my entire point. If you're going to use a novel workflow that will need retopo and a bunch of work after the 3d creation might as well do it with one that is actually drawing and easy to do. As well as a tool that is already native to the software you will be working in. As far as beginner friendly its pretty much draw on an object or the canvas, convert to strokes to splines, splines to geo. Then you can go ahead and do whatever you want on top of that. Because it also allows you to change brush and spline shape during those points you can use it to make specific profiles and shapes. This can also be scripted pretty easily by slightly more advanced users.

If you're just using it as concepting it becomes less novel because you don't need the rounded whole forms at that point and can rely more on silhouettes.

Not saying its useless or anything, I just don't get it. It's neat but I just wouldn't say the most amazing or that it solves the auto drawing to 3D thing better than Blender's grease pencil.
  • Bracer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bracer polycounter lvl 7
    throttlekitty !!!
    My jaw just dropped !
    They...they FREAKING MADE A GAME!!! out of that concept !!!
    Thank you throttlekitty for sharing that link !

• Bracer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bracer polycounter lvl 7
    Zachagreg, you and sacboi definitely have a point there regarding the possible ease of use of that stroke technique.
    I suppose I am so far removed from the grease pencil side of Blender that it seems almost like a complete foreign body to me.

So it will be better for me to state that I know nothing of that to comment, at least that would be an honest reply.