Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Military Backpack - Italian Army

Hello there! I'm Dan from Italy , a long time videogame "addicted" guy and also trying to begin a new career in 3D Game Art industry , as many other tons of guy out there =)
I'm totally self-taught and bad in english grammatic rules. Forgive me for any mistakes about.

I just complete my last work , more precisely a study about more "complex" ( for me at least) geometry.
It's the first time I ask for critiques so be..... rude ! :D:+1:

Mainly I would appreciate every technical comment  , tips tricks can be useful in my future studying in 3D Arts.
Last  note! I'm 33 years old that starts study 3D game art 2 years ago and my biggest fear is my age  , too old to compete against more young and skilled guys?

Here follows some shot from marmoset and the  real-time model on Sketchfab :
Thanks in advice!

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Solid asset, nice job! I'd leave as is, yet do another version that looks "broken in" . Show the viewer some wear, worn edges, pins, stitched patch-worked patches, and possibly kitted out with canteen, military/Rambo knife or riffle holster. (Your current version seems very vanilla, and without any real defining characteristics/storytelling at this point). 

Good luck.
  • WHALEYAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there! I'm currently active military with close to 4 years in and I'm also a super noob when it comes to 3D. I just started over a month ago and I'm not part of the Italian military but maybe I can offer a few pointers for things that happen with wear and tear in the field.

Waterstains are extremely noticeable even on kit that has low field time, even in desert environment. This is due to troops often having to shove all their kit into their rucks/packs at a moment's notice and one of the mantras of patrols/anything overnight is to change your clothing as often as you can. At least once every 24 hours. This leads to lots of sweat soaked clothing being crammed into an extremely tight spot building up damp spots and salt stains. These last for YEARS even if the pack is washed thoroughly.

I love the wear and tear on the straps. It fits perfectly where the most tension and usage is.

Most smallpacks/patrol packs have tons of modularity. Barring fresh out of basic, most guys custom fit theirs to what they use it it for. A medic will often have a dozen extra pouches of attached whereas a driver will often strip theirs down to the absolute barebones due to keeping everything in their truck. Yours is very vanilla but that's not always a bad thing. Its just something to keep in mind.

The types of patches seen on these types of backpacks is typically;
    nametapes
    unit patches
    crudely drawn on service number and initials somewhere if an older model
    flag of country

Hope I can help and I'll be lucky to be as good as you one day. Keep up the great work!

• Boosted24v
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boosted24v polygon
    One detail you could add, on the straps, the extra part that is pulled through to set the length is often rolled and tapped up. We did this to all our kit, rucks, assault packs, LBVs etc. (Prior service infantry combat vet, US Army)