Home Unreal Engine

Looking for a short wholesome LIGHTING documentation where everything is explained. DF, GI and so on

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
napelazam polycounter lvl 6
Or can you write all relevant keywords down so I can google them and create my own little doc?
Like I know Distance Field, Global Illumination, Cascadian.

Replies

• Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Its not cascadian but cascade. Unfortunately I don't tthink there is a doc that contains everything together in one place, but honestly, the official engine doc explains everything. Whats the problem with that?
  • napelazam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uhm. Problem is it doesn't summarize it on one page/flyer/image/chart
    Like for Blender you got one image which explains al shortcuts. :)
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guess you need to live with that.
  • napelazam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you don't have your own summary of all things related to light? When to use what and when to change what numbers?
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It can't be summarized in a few lines. There are multiple types of lights, multiple types of shadow casting, and multiple modes. You can't expect me to write an essay here. Especially because the 75% of it is in the official documentation already. I'm affraid you dont't really have other choice other than going through that doc. If it works for other people, it must work for you too. I wrote a breakdown about rtx in a thread, but only that is a page long thing and thats still in nutshell. And rtx is just a small percent of the whole thing. You can also start putting lights and tweak their parameters to see what happens. There are also countless youtube tutorials about this topic.
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If there is something specific that you are looking for, I can help, but I'm not writing a book here even if I could.